No announcement yet.

How do you put a price on a home built AR15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd take one of Keith's or CJ's home built over many retailer in a heart beat!
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      agreed... same with vehicles... but unless you know the builder personally, the safe bet is to assume that they had no idea WTF they were doing
      hard to fuck up an AR though... maybe a buffer weight or something.
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I would say it is worth less than the sum of its parts. Until there is another run on them or parts, that is my opinion.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
          I would say it is worth less than the sum of its parts. Until there is another run on them or parts, that is my opinion.
          This

LOL I saw a guy trying to sell a PTAC upper with Anderson lower for $850 on FB yesterday. I had to refrain from commenting on it but I did laugh out loud.
          Originally posted by Sean88gt
          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

In short, it is the same as any other commodity. It is worth the price the last guy paid for it. Put the thing on Texas Gun Trader, or other similar sites, add $50 to the price you want, and sell it. You'll get low ball offers, a few decent offers, and some hate mail. At the end of the day you'll either keep it or sell it. Just my 2¢ but get a bill of sale one way or the other. In my non-attorney opinion there's a pretty good one HERE. (Not legal advise, use at your own discretion.)
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
              It is worth the price the last guy paid for it.
              Man I gotta disagree here. I know damn well that PTAC upper is $299.99 (even at $289.99) and that lower is overpriced at $99 and say you add shipping. This is what that rifle is worth. IF some guy got all caught up in the scare last year and is trying to sell his DPMS Oracle with Barska Red dot sight for $1200, does not mean it is worth it.

The value is in the parts in my opinion, not what the last guy paid for it.

Of course if there is a unusually high demand for an item and it cannot be kept on store shelves, then yes, it is worth what that person wants for it assuming you need it bad enough.
              Last edited by Gtracer; 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM.
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I'm not saying that one rifle sets a precedent. I'm saying its value is what a person buys it for and that the market is finicky, at best.

Comment

it's worth pretty much the price of the parts you used to build it at their going rate.
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

If I am buying a gun I am not paying more or even equal to the amount that I could buy/build it myself. If you have a pile of parts that you paid $1,000 for and put it together. That is cool, I will offer you less. Otherwise, just call up and buy all those parts new myself.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by MILK View Post
                      or is it even worth trying to sell a home built AR15? It's a build with different parts from different companies like Spikes Lower, Palmeto upper etc.... Hell, i even forgot what the true specs on everything are id have to dig out all my reciepts.

So back to the question, is it worth selling a home built AR15, is it legal?

TIA
                      You have some good parts there. Palmetto Upper Assembly, Spikes lower receiver will garner you more money than someone else's example of a PTAC upper and an Anderson lower. So, in my opinion, it depends on the parts. I assume the upper came assembled, and you just put the LPK together?

I would say you could easily fetch $550 to $600, and maybe a few dollars more at a gun show.

Or just wait until the next panic and it will be worth $1200+

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                        The value is in the parts in my opinion, not what the last guy paid for it.
                        The value isn't what was originally paid, or what the last guy paid, it's what someone is willing to pay now. Just like selling a modified car, you'll get more if you find the one buyer that wants exactly what you built, to anyone else it's just another rifle.

Comment

ok, ok, $375

Comment

I sold my first AR in 2008 for $750. I had around $1k in it. Lower was RRA, upper was assembled by me from Del-ton parts. The guy I sold it to wanted to test fire before agreeing to purchase, which I was happy to oblige at the time.

I'd say it depends on the parts, but it is worth less than the sum of the parts at current market prices.
                            كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                            Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                            Originally posted by Trick Pony
                            ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Working...
                            X