Bow hunters in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow hunters in here

What does one look for in a first compound bow? Not knowing anything about bow hunting, aside from the fact it's difficult, walk me through you look for when buying a new bow.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Have someone who bow hunts go in with you.

Shoot as many bows as you can to find one that fits you. Get something with a adjustable draw length imho. You will change it if you get serious about shooting. I have yet to see a shop get it right the first time. They get it close, but only time and work on your form.

Dont buy a pre packaged bow!!!! you will change everything. Just about everything sucks about them.

If i still lived down there Id take you. Its awesome sport, but you gotta be able to put the time in. Its not a get it out a week before season weapon.

Comment

RamBOW approves of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        Have someone who bow hunts go in with you.

Shoot as many bows as you can to find one that fits you. Get something with a adjustable draw length imho. You will change it if you get serious about shooting. I have yet to see a shop get it right the first time. They get it close, but only time and work on your form.

Dont buy a pre packaged bow!!!! you will change everything. Just about everything sucks about them.

If i still lived down there Id take you. Its awesome sport, but you gotta be able to put the time in. Its not a get it out a week before season weapon.
        My gf's brother in law is really big into recurve bows and he's got a bunch of animal targets setup over 80 acres. He's a little more of a lord of the rings nerd and only shoots recurve bows, which I've shot, but I'd prefer a compound.

Guess I need to find a bowyer locally? Is that the right term for a bow shop?

When you say you change everything, do you basically piece one together?
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

I've got a bud at a local pro shop that can help you if you like, Greg.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            I've got a bud at a local pro shop that can help you if you like, Greg.
            Any bit of info would be great.

Comment

yup you peice them together

Buy the bow, pick out a sight, pick out a quiver, and pick out a arrow rest, pick out a style of peep. pick a release, and pick your arrows, nocks, and heads.

I prefer qad hdx drop away releases, sword sights, and tight spot quivers. For arrows call jerry at www.southshorearchery.com

For a decent set up expect to spend 1500ish.

The strings on the lower end bows suck. Even the higher end bows have problems with peep rotation. I suggest a set of custom strings from 60x, proline, any of the bigger custom string makers. I replace mine every year, but i hunt alot and hunt hard. 63 days last year. 69 this year.

Comment

The new trophy taker react sight looks bad ass. Id try one of those too, or spot hogg sights.

Comment

Anything to look for in a good bow specifically? All the extra shit aside.

Comment

Thats the thing If its over 500.00 bare bow its good imho.

In compound bows they are all usa made and expensive. Try as many brands as you can. I prefer hoyt, mathews, elite, pse, mathews mission line and in that order.

They are like handguns. Some just feel right in your hand and shoot well. I prefer short bows 29-32 axle to axle.

Comment

Try going to a place called outdoor pro shop in Garland/Richardson. They are the best bow guys around that I have found.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

For a decent set up expect to spend 1500ish.
                        Damn, I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on a setup. I was thinking more along the lines of $500-$600 and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Damn, I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on a setup. I was thinking more along the lines of $500-$600 and go from there.
                          Like Sleeper said that will get you a nice bow that is bare with no accessories.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            Like Sleeper said that will get you a nice bow that is bare with no accessories.
                            I was meaning a one ready to go for $500-600 and then upgrade from there later on.

Comment

You will regret it later. trust me.

You can find good gear used on another forum called archerytalk.com

Buying a used bow can be risky, but ive never been burned on that site.

Comment

Working...
                              X