Les Baer PII or STI Sentry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Baer PII or STI Sentry?

Been eyeing a nice 1911 for a while now and STI seems like a great gun for the money. Will mostly get beat up at the range and probably hang out in my nightstand. Hopefully down the road getting into some competitions with it. Was planning on buying through Brazos Custom new but found a Baer PII used (50 rounds down the pipe) locally. Am I crazy to not go for it and get the Sentry? They are identically priced (Brazos Custom new vs private party used)

Either one should get the job done. Dealer's choice.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I've owned STI (Trojan) and Les Baer (Thunder Ranch) 1911 and I will take the Baer over the STI. Not that the STI is a bad gun, the accuracy and slide/frame fit was just average at best.

FWIW, I've since sold the STI but still have the Baer.

Comment

Les Baer all day long.

Comment

I'd go custom if you can afford it or can get the Les Baer. I've owned 5 STI's and 1 SVI before and the SVI is hands down better than any Wilson or Les Baer (I've shot them too) but they are about $4k each. For the $1500-2k price range I'd go with a custom 1911 built on a STI or Casipan frame/slide, 2-3k would be LB, nighthawk or Wilson, and above that is SVI.

I'm still planning on adding at least 1 SVI back to my safe and at least 1 STI as well. I personally would never spend the in-between money. I'm more the type to buy the cheaper gun and accept it for what it is and shoot the piss out of it, or go all out, not in between. But we are talking your money here, and you really can't go wrong either way.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Brazos Customs makes some really nice pistols. I've never handled a Lesson Baer but hear they are really nice after you break them in.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

What are you guy's thoughts on this gun compared to the ones mentioned in this thread?

I've been thinking about it for adding to the collection. I do like the other sig 1911's we have but is this one in the category of "Even better"?

Comment

IMO if I were going to spend around 1500 on a 1911 you can't beat a colt or sig. Beautifully made pistols for the price

Comment

It does look nice, and has some really nice parts already installed. However, that safety would have to go if it were my gun. I use it as a thumb rest and prefer a wide ambi, also I hate dots on the rear sight. And I really don't like the external extractor that Sig always uses, which is why I've never bought or considered a 1911 from them.
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                    IMO if I were going to spend around 1500 on a 1911 you can't beat a colt or sig. Beautifully made pistols for the price
                    $1500 semi custom vs a $1500 mass produced gun really isn't even a comparison. I dont know of any mass produced (no hand fitting) 1911 thats worth $1500 no matter what brand

Comment

I thought about picking up a sig when I got my last 1911 but they were sold out when I went to pick one up. I ended up with a Smith & Wesson E series and have been really pleased my only complaint is the grip safety has a slight rattle. It has been carried a good bit while getting very dirty and grimy yet still runs flawlessly.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I've never shot or owned a custom 1911. I guess I'm missing out cause I adore my colts

Comment

Les Baer PII all day/every day and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                            I've never shot or owned a custom 1911. I guess I'm missing out cause I adore my colts
                            I adore my Colt too, but for what it is. I got the O1911ANVIII for less than retail and I'm pleased with it. But for something extremely tight and accurate with fantastic build quality, the mass produced guns just don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                              I adore my Colt too, but for what it is. I got the O1911ANVIII for less than retail and I'm pleased with it. But for something extremely tight and accurate with fantastic build quality, the mass produced guns just don't have it.
                              That's great and all but it honestly comes down to the shooter. I have seen guys with $2000+ STI comp guns get out shot by me with a cheap ass Rock Island 1911. For the money, I'm going for bang for the buck, not the prestige of a custom....although that Sig Max edition comes darn close! I want to get one bad but I have to fund the race season first. Crossing my fingers for some overtime coming my way this next year!

Comment

Working...
                              X