Getting scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
    Not one mention of gun control tonight in the SOU. Hmmm, good thing or no?
    At the beginning of his State of the Union address, President Obama tipped his hat to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who’s now recuperating in a Houston medical facility. But throughout the hourlong speech, he never addressed the issue at the core of the Giffords tragedy—gun control—and what lawmakers would, or should, do to reform American firearm-access laws.

That was intentional, according to the White House. An administration official says Obama didn’t mention guns in his speech because of the omnipresent controversy surrounding the Second Amendment and gun control. Tuesday’s speech was designed to be more about the economy and how, as Obama repeated nine times, the U.S. could “win the future.”

But in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort in which it will urge Congress to strengthen current laws, which now allow some mentally unstable people, such as alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner, to obtain certain assault weapons, in some cases without even a background check.

Tuesday night after the speech, Obama adviser David Plouffe said to NBC News that the president would not let the moment after the Arizona shootings pass without pushing for some change in the law, to prevent another similar incident. “It’s a very important issue, and one I know there’s going to be debate about on the Hill.”

The White House said that to avoid being accused of capitalizing on the Arizona shootings for political gain, Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month. He’s also expected to use Arizona as a starting point, but make the case that America’s gun laws have been too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks.

As the White House prepares its strategy, several gun-policy groups are saying they were burned by the lack of any mention of guns in the president’s highest-profile speech of the year. “President Obama tonight failed to challenge old assumptions on the need for, and political possibilities of, reducing the gun violence—which he suggested should be done two weeks ago in Tucson,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation’s largest gun-safety group. No group said it had been consulted by the White House regarding legislative suggestions.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has stayed largely silent following the Arizona shootings. Asked about a specialized White House effort on guns, a spokesman for the powerful gun lobby declined to comment.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Yeah, I saw that later. I guess it's time to stock up on mags and ammo.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

There may be an alternative motive here. Obama has long been accused of not completely catering to his rabid liberal base. It may be that since his reelection hopes are slim, he needs to gain his base back. Since the house is now republican controlled he can cater to his base by introducing and lobbying for gun control with foresight that he can't actually get it passed. The base thinks he's accomplishing something, and his moderate leaning constituents don't ever see it affect them.

Or, he knows he's fucked and wants to cram liberal slime down our throats on his way out.
        Last edited by CJ; 01-28-2011, 08:12 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

When this thread started there was 67 co sponsors now there is 65. Downward spiral thrend?
          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
            When this thread started there was 67 co sponsors now there is 65. Downward spiral thrend?
            Maybe man. I didnt know that you un-sponsor a bill.... but then again what I don't know about our legal system could fill a warehouse.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Please call your Representatives, fellas. I called mine, and the aide said, "don't worry, we've got it handled."
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Oh hell yes. This is the first thing I have ever done regarding government issues. (I have never called or e-mailed my rep for anything until now) and I got an email which i liked

"Dear Mr. Guerra:

Thank you for contacting me with your opinion on Second Amendment issues. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.

I was shocked, angry and saddened by the news of the recent tragic shooting in Arizona. Congresswoman Giffords has always been friendly, personable and professional during our interactions. Any attack against a Member of Congress is an attack against democracy itself. The House of Representatives is the 'People's House' and we cannot do our jobs without interacting freely with those we represent. It is imperative that we hold open, public meetings to hear the concerns of constituents and I am sure that Congresswoman Giffords would want us to continue doing that. It is imperative that, despite this senseless attack, every member of Congress keep the lines of communication open. We cannot and I will not let the act of one person stop the important work of Congress.

Acts of violence against public officials should be roundly condemned. They have no place in a civilized society. However, I do not support the reaction of some of my colleagues – the introduction of legislation calling for tougher gun control. The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution, and I am a consistent supporter of that right. I believe that violent crime must be reduced, but I will not support measures that infringe upon the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

I support an individual's right to defend themselves, their family, and their property with a legally obtained firearm. This right is put in jeopardy by those advocating stricter control measures. The gun control movement hurts law-abiding citizens and businesses, not the criminals who care nothing for the law. I believe we can better reduce the misuse of firearms by strongly enforcing laws already on the books and maintaining responsible judiciaries.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion with me. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Joe Barton
                Member of Congress "

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
                  Oh hell yes. This is the first thing I have ever done regarding government issues. (I have never called or e-mailed my rep for anything until now) and I got an email which i liked

Joe Barton
                  Member of Congress "

Oh, you have nothing to worry about Joe Barton, he has some serious juevos.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Oh noes! Found this on /k/ and LOL'ed

Comment

Working...
                    X