Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in a November 3-Gun Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody interested in a November 3-Gun Match?

I’m going to be home from Afghanistan and I have been trying to try out 3-Gun for the last several years, but something always comes up (rained out, equipment stolen, schedule conflicts, etc).

It looks like my schedule is clear to try out the North Texas MultiGun’s 3-Gun match on November 23 & 24 (weekend before Thanksgiving). I have never done ANY kind of shooting competition, so this is a first for me and I am a horrible shot to boot. I think most people want to try it, but feel that they aren’t ready yet. As long as you can safely handle firearms, you should be good to go and I hear the competitive shooting community is very accepting of new people and always willing to give pointers.

Info:
    Want to get your Texas License to Carry? Our online course is the most convenient way to complete your training and get certified. Learn at your own pace.

(website isn’t updated for Nov registration yet)

All matches are hosted at the ETTS range:
    620 Greathouse Rd, Waxahachie, TX 75167

8:00am – Sign in
    8:40am – Safety Brief
    9:00am – First Shots Fired

$40 – Match Fee

The event is for both days (Saturday and Sunday) but you don't have to shoot both; both days are the same thing. They just have both days open in case somebody didn't get to shoot everything on the first day or can't make it until Sunday.

5-6 Stages with a mix of natural terrain and bay's. Rifle shots out to 600 yards. Slugs out to 100 yards. A safe number of rounds to bring:
    Rifle: 100
    Birdshot: 75
    Slug: 10
    Buckshot: 10
    Pistol: 100
    We always suggest to bring more!

Rules and regulations for shooting classifications and ammunition requirements are in the NTMG link provided above.

There are lots of North Texas MultiGun YouTube videos, if you wanted to do a search and get a feel for what it is like.

I live in Sachse, TX (just north of Garland) and my F250 has plenty of room if anybody wanted to carpool to help save cost.
    Last edited by Mike K; 11-07-2013, 08:21 PM.

On a side note: 3-Gun Nation Club TV was going to film last month's event, but it got rained out. They might come out to the November match instead, but there has been no mention of it on the Facebook page.

No sales. You will be permanently banned. This group is for posting about upcoming competitions in the DFW and surrounding areas. MD's feel free to post.

Comment

b) Firearms capable of fully automatic- or burst-fire ("machine guns") are prohibited.

Dammit.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

GAY, oh well, that 99% of all matches. Interesting that it has such long ranges.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          GAY, oh well, that 99% of all matches. Interesting that it has such long ranges.
          I have watched quite a few YouTube videos (the only thing I can do over here :-( ) and I don't think I have seen them go out that far. They probably have the capability to, but probably don't do it that often.

Comment

I'd like to join but I don't have enough weapons, so I just shoot pistol or carbine.

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
              I'd like to join but I don't have enough weapons, so I just shoot pistol or carbine.
              I have a Mossberg 930SPX you can borrow if you want. I still owe you for taking me and Brian out to our CHL training a couple years ago.

I'm really interested, but I am over in Keller so I would probably just meet you peeps down there. (Free rides from Keller)

I'd have to talk to my cousin as well, and I am slowly converting him to the ways of firearms (I have emphasized safety with him every time I take him to the range) so if he's interested we might meet up down there.

Comment

Well looks like I am bringing some family down too. I asked my Brother and cousin if they wanted to try it out and they are game. We are going to shoot in the open division because my 930 has a fiber front sight, otherwise would be shooting tactical.

Mike, hope to see you there as we are all signed up.

Comment

I don't have a shotty that's worthy, but I can borrow one. I might give this a shot.

Comment

Fiber front sight puts you in open?

And did you want to see about all getting on the same squad?

Comment

Ryan, you are more than welcome to use my Versa Max.

Comment

I dont know anything about this stuff, but I think I would like to learn. Anyone want to run down there and spectate?
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I've been looking into these matches (made a thread here a bit a ago). Would love to shoot but probably have to work; if I can make it out just to watch I'd be down to go, I'd like to see how these run in person anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                            Fiber front sight puts you in open?

And did you want to see about all getting on the same squad?
                            Yes, let's squad up, I am going to do terrible, so I'd like to not be alone :-)

Tactical optics are not allowed on shotgun, at least that is what I am reading:

Tactical Optics Division

i) Firearms must be of a factory configuration. Prototype firearms are specifically prohibited. Internal modifications are permitted providing they do not alter the external appearance of the firearm.

ii) Handgun holsters must be a practical/tactical carry style and must safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement. The holster material must completely cover the trigger on all semiautomatic pistols. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger and the cylinder. The belt upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level. Shoulder holsters and cross draw holsters are prohibited.

iii) Handgun

(1) Electronic sights, optical sights, extended sights, compensators or barrel porting are prohibited.

(2) Magazines length may not exceed 170mm in the case of single column magazines, and may not exceed 140mm in the case of staggered column magazines.

iv) Rifle

(1) Optic

(a) Not more than one (1) electronic or optical (glass) sight is permitted.

(b) A supplemental magnifier may be used with the permitted optical sight provided the magnifier does not contain an aiming reticle, cannot be used as an aiming device by itself, and remains mounted in the same location on the rifle for the duration of the event. A participant may use the magnifier in either the magnified or unmagnified mode without restriction.

(2) Supporting devices (bipods, etc.) are prohibited.

(3) Compensators and muzzle brakes may not exceed 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches in length (as measured from the barrel muzzle to the end of the compensator).

(4) Drum magazines are prohibited.

v) Shotgun

(1) Only tubular magazines are permitted.

(2) Electronic or optical sights are prohibited.
                            (3) Supporting devices (bipods, etc.) are prohibited.

(4) Barrel devices designed/intended to reduce recoil or muzzle movement (e.g. compensators, barrel porting) are prohibited.

(5) Speed loading devices and/or detachable box magazines are prohibited.

(6) Not more than nine (9) rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise stipulated in the stage briefing.
                            Also, do we have to do the long range stage? I am terrible at long range and don't think my .223 would do very well with 1x optics at 400 yards: (FF to 1:50)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTXG2WX83g[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                              I dont know anything about this stuff, but I think I would like to learn. Anyone want to run down there and spectate?
                              There is still plenty of time to read up on it. From what I have read on other forms, anybody that has gone to an event to spectate seriously regretted not participating in the match.

I will post up a couple links to some 3-gun dedicated forums with lots of info tomorrow. But, keep in mind, you don't need anything fancy to get started. A semi-automatic handgun with a holster, semi-automatic rifle, and a shotgun.

Comment

Working...
                              X