Anywhere to shoot without permission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anywhere to shoot without permission?

Kind of curious if there is anywhere that one can go to practice without having to obtain permission or pay fees. Somewhere where you can just set up your own target, and practice without anyone else around. State owned land out in the country perhaps? Has anyone ever approached someone who owns property and asked for permission to use a part of their land to set up your target for practice? Of course this would also entail doing the responsible thing such as picking up after yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
    Kind of curious if there is anywhere that one can go to practice without having to obtain permission or pay fees. Somewhere where you can just set up your own target, and practice without anyone else around. State owned land out in the country perhaps? Has anyone ever approached someone who owns property and asked for permission to use a part of their land to set up your target for practice? Of course this would also entail doing the responsible thing such as picking up after yourself.

I'd say it depends on what you are shooting. Anywhere in city limits is pretty much off limits without the proper permits and zoning (area).

Pistol and Rifle bullets travel pretty far, and I would want to know the person shooting outside my house prior to allowing them to use my land.

Shotgun will probably be the easiest to find a place for. I used to go shooting in Caddo Mills just on the outside of town until about 8 years ago...just stopped going. It was private land, but thankfully, some family members knew some of the folks out that way and it paid off for a couple of years.

Other than the above, you will have to go to a range or buy 10+ acres and file the proper permits to open up a "range" if its in city limits, or just buy 10+acres out in BFE and skip the permit process...and insurance.....

Anyone with more knowledge feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, though I believe the above to be correct based off my experiences.

And good luck with actually being able to hunt on someone’s land without them charging you, regardless of how responsible you are. Free hunting is a thing of the past unless you are using a bow.
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

This is why i'm glad my parents have a little bit of land and live outside city limits... It's about an hour drive from where I live, but the range I go to is a good 30 mins too...

You really have to know someone or live out in the country...
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

No hunting. It'd be a 22 pistol, .223, and a 45. Main purpose is to teach my wife about guns. She's nervous about them due to lack of knowledge and experience. I want to start her on the 22 pistol and let her take her time without other people around blasting away. Just seems like it'd be more comfortable for her until she is confident and educated enough to not be intimidated by a gun range.

Thoughts or suggestions for something like this?

Last edited by danielhv; 08-12-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Depending on the county you don't have to buy 10+ acres...

I own just under 2 acres and have my own range. 5 dump trucks of dirt and you are good to go.
          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

No hunting. It'd be a 22 pistol, .223, and a 45. Main purpose is to teach my wife about guns. She's nervous about them due to lack of knowledge and experience. I want to start her on the 22 pistol and let her take her time without other people around blasting away. Just seems like it'd be more comfortable for her until she is confident and educated enough to not be intimidated by a gun range.

Thoughts?

22 with suppressor and a few boxes of phone boxes at the end of the hall way.
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
              Depending on the county you don't have to buy 10+ acres...

I own just under 2 acres and have my own range. 5 dump trucks of dirt and you are good to go.
              oh come on. A little scatter gun pointed at your neighbors house would be so much more fun.

Comment

Thoughts?

Fwiw, I preferred my old lady learn in a lane with firing going on nearby. In the unlikely chance she has to draw and fire her weapon, it will be in an incredibly stressed environment. Teaching fundamentals in solitude I fully understand, but IMO you owe it to her to teach her how to handle the stress and distractions.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                  22 with suppressor and a few boxes of phone boxes at the end of the hall way.
                  Oh,if I had a suppressor, this time eleventybillon
                  You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                  You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                    Oh,if I had a suppressor, this time eleventybillon
                    Yea I wish I had a suppressor for it. :-(

Comment

Kind of curious if there is anywhere that one can go to practice without having to obtain permission or pay fees.
                      yes oak cliff just find a house and start shooting

Comment

I used to go shooting on National Forest land when I lived in Cali. I don't think there's much around here though.
                        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Apparently, NOT the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                            Apparently, NOT the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge.
                            I saw those two idiots on the news last night.....F&*kin clowns

Comment

I think anywhere in Lancaster in Ft. Worth or MLK or Oakcliff in Dallas would work perfectly.
                              First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Working...
                              X