Form 1 a weapon you constructed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form 1 a weapon you constructed?

Interesting question. Let's say you built a Krink AK from a 80% blank. It has no serial number. Can you serialize the weapon and then file a Form1 to SBR it? I seem to remember some legal issue with serializing your own weapons, I could be wrong - I've never done it so I'm curious.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I believe at that point you serialize it and submit as regular.

Comment

You have to serialize any weapon you create from what I've read, i.e. 80% receivers. I don't see how creating a lower then applying for the tax stamp would be any different then what's done with an ar lower. But then again, the atf has different rules for just about everything it seems.

Comment

I asked my FFL guy this question, but regarding the sale of such a weapon. He said that he THOUGHT you can build it from a parts kit for you own use without having to serialize it, but if you wanted to sell it, you would have to have a Manufacturing FFL and put a serial number on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshoe View Post
          I asked my FFL guy this question, but regarding the sale of such a weapon. He said that he THOUGHT you can build it from a parts kit for you own use without having to serialize it, but if you wanted to sell it, you would have to have a Manufacturing FFL and put a serial number on it.
          Exactly right. That's the way I understand it, and I'm not sure if serializing a weapon constitutes manufacturing as you don't have to serialize a weapon you manufacture for yourself.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
            You have to serialize any weapon you create from what I've read.
            That's definitely not true. There is no law that states that. Gotta be careful what you read on the internet.

On a second note, I was shooting at my range last weekend and there were some police officers there. I was talking to them about this, and asked them about running serials when you get pulled over. I then asked him about guns without serials (pre 68 GCA) and they said all of them were illegal. They had no idea that guns were produced without serial numbers legally. I even had my 552 which has no serial, showed it to them, and then came to the conclusion it was illegal, or had a serial number hidden somewhere on it. Absolutely refused to believe it.

Comment

To form 1 a gun you built you have to make a serial number and have it engraved.
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                To form 1 a gun you built you have to make a serial number and have it engraved.
                I just wanted to make sure the ATF didn't cross reference for a 4473.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                  Does the same go for a form 1 suppressor?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    Interesting question. Let's say you built a Krink AK from a 80% blank. It has no serial number. Can you serialize the weapon and then file a Form1 to SBR it? I seem to remember some legal issue with serializing your own weapons, I could be wrong - I've never done it so I'm curious.
                    correct
                    only issue is you cant turn around & sell it.
                    unless you demill the receiver or become a SOT manufacturer & stamp engrave (manu. info) it

Comment

Originally posted by bigshoe View Post
                      Does the same go for a form 1 suppressor?
                      for a suppressor you have to make up a S/N , submit paperwork, then build i& engrave it. once approved

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        I just wanted to make sure the ATF didn't cross reference for a 4473.
                        i dont think there is any cross reference to 4473
                        as my SBR was no paperwork to start, it was FTF deal. so issue w/ getting stamp

Comment

What happens when you get pulled over with a non-serialized gun that one built?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                            What happens when you get pulled over with a non-serialized gun that one built?
                            The cops I talked to, at least the two at the range, were clueless. They thought they knew everything though. It just scares me that they are out there, and they don't know the laws they enforce. They were both from DWG as well.

Comment

Yep, you are correct, no serial #. Here's a snippit from an atf letter:

Also, for your information, a nonlicensee may manufacture a semiautomatic rifle for his or her own personal use. As long as the firearm remains in the custody of the person who manufactured it, the firearm neednot be marked with a serial number or name and location of the manufacturer. However, if the firearm is transferred to another party at some point in the future, the firearm must be marked in accordance with the provisions set forth in 27 CFR ยง 478.92 (formerly 178.92).

Comment

Working...
                              X