50 caliber powder rifle project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 caliber powder rifle project

So this is my 50 caliber black powder rifle project that i am starting tonite....
    wish me luck

May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
    Semper Fi

has anybody else ever worked on one of these?

I just stained the stock and will oil it tomorrow.
    Cleaning the barrel is a bitch because it doesnt go all the way thru. So i cant get all the gunk that is at the bottom of the barrel.
    Semper Fi

Comment

I've never worked on one but I do wish you luck. It looks like a challenging project. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make.

Comment

We use to shoot one of those at my uncles ranch in Oklahoma. Thing would blow a nice hole in stuff. I was always worried it would go off while ramming the damn bullet in.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

the barrel is gonna get the sandblast cabinet treatment tomorrow.
          Semper Fi

Comment

i got the stock stained and drying. dremeled 30 year old dust and other crap off the screws, blasted the barrel with bore scrubber and cleaned the inside of it, and blasted the hammer assembly with gun scrubber and oiled it thoroughly.
            Semper Fi

Comment

google black powder barrel cleaning, iirc it involves something about a hot soapy tub and soaking it or some kind of degreaser.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                google black powder barrel cleaning, iirc it involves something about a hot soapy tub and soaking it or some kind of degreaser.
                will do!
                Semper Fi

Comment

Looks like a cool project. I've heard some people use them for certain types of hunting, but I've never used one. Looking forward to your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                    Looks like a cool project. I've heard some people use them for certain types of hunting, but I've never used one. Looking forward to your progress.
                    well, it shouldnt take long...
                    gonna blast that barrel tomorrow, sand it smooth after that, and then blue it. With a little bit of luck I will have it complete by saturday!
                    Semper Fi

Comment

i have had a few black powder rifles over the years. cleaning it is fairly easy. take your cleaner and pore it down the barrel plug the holes up with your finger and just slosh the cleaner around and pore it out. then just run a brush down and some clean wads to soak it up you might have to repeat this process twice to get it good and clean. one thing you can do to cut back on your cleaning is use smokeless powder it wont gunk up as bad. it just wont make a big smoke cloud that sends people running.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                        i have had a few black powder rifles over the years. cleaning it is fairly easy. take your cleaner and pore it down the barrel plug the holes up with your finger and just slosh the cleaner around and pore it out. then just run a brush down and some clean wads to soak it up you might have to repeat this process twice to get it good and clean. one thing you can do to cut back on your cleaning is use smokeless powder it wont gunk up as bad. it just wont make a big smoke cloud that sends people running.
                        I really dont have any interest to fire it. This was a kit my dad got decades ago and it has sat in storage for a looooong time. just trying to get all the crud out of it and get it looking good.
                        Semper Fi

Comment

ah right then. well i would say your doing it the way i probably would. sand blast the rust off then blue it. cant wait to see pics.

Comment

Here it is so far...
                            I stained the stock and sanded it and stained it and sanded it, etc. lol
                            had to bend and gring on the trigger guard to get it to sit right. Had to take little meat off of some of the wood on the stock as well to get the hammer housing to sit flush. Waxed the stock and it feels good.

Semper Fi

Comment

all finished!

Sand blasted the rust off the barrel and found out it was actually a 45 caliber, not a 50.
                              Blued the barrel and had to grind and drill to get everything to line up just right, but it is heavy and solid.

Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                              X