with the cost of ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• with the cost of ammo

I'm thinking of trying some long range shooting . Thinking bolt gun to shoot 100-500 yards . I know its not really long range but I've gotta start somewhere . To keep it cost efficient what would y'all recommend ? I've gotta buy gun , glass and ammo and would like to have fun with it.
    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

I persoanlly want to get a remington 700 in 308 for that kind of stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

.22lr

Comment

Isn't there like 6 different model 700's?
        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          .22lr
          Where is this indoor 500yrd range where I can shoot a .22 like a mortar?
          I know a 10/22 is good for 100yrd stuff but I don't want to buy glass twice

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
            Where is this indoor 500yrd range where I can shoot a .22 like a mortar?
            I know a 10/22 is good for 100yrd stuff but I don't want to buy glass twice
            [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXjMXMGvrA[/ame]

Comment

i've shot pretty consistant at 300 yards with a 22lr, i've shot 200 yards with ruger mkII pistol, think i hit steel 6-7 out of 10, that was pretty much lobbing the bullets though

Comment

I never shoot distance but man i love to go plinking with the .22's! haha cheap and just fun

Comment

22-250 it is a bit heavier then a .22 and you can jump up in kick and range from there.

Comment

Just so you know, in Laredo there is plenty of ammo.

If you need some let me know. I get back on the 2nd.
                    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                      I'm thinking of trying some long range shooting . Thinking bolt gun to shoot 100-500 yards . I know its not really long range but I've gotta start somewhere . To keep it cost efficient what would y'all recommend ? I've gotta buy gun , glass and ammo and would like to have fun with it.
                      To answer your questions I'd start off by saying pick up a nice used Remington 700, there are usually some nice ones on the hide. Some of them will come with glass. .308 is really an easy way to go, especially if you are just going out to 500 yds. .308 is very effective within that range. Another caliber that you might consider is .243.

As to keeping the costs down on the glass, you really can't do that. It's a buy once, cry once type of thing, but after you have good glass you will understand why. I'd recommend looking at Leupolds higher end stuff, Nightforce and IOR would probably be my next step up after Leupold.

As far as ammo, without a doubt reload. You can pick up a NEW single stage setup for very cheap, like around 100 bucks. And I'm sure that there are enough guys around that can help you learn, or just read a book about it. There is a lot of good info on this site and the hide as well. Components are very plentiful for the .308, and there is still plenty of stuff for the .243. If you aren't going to reload, the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo was very accurate for me before I started reloading. And it's priced fair IMO. Once you do get something, if you are just running store bought ammo, save your brass. You never know when you will start reloading. Hope this helps!
                      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

I have always heard on 243 that you can burn the barrel up pretty easy is this true. I have a couple old guys that have told me they have been thru several
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't know about easy, but a 243 barrel will burn out faster than a 308 without a doubt. It's about projectile velocity. It's a give and take kind of thing though. For the flatter trajectory (faster) you will go through barrels faster than the bigger slower cartridges, but they are easier to shoot at distance due to the speed, flat trajectory and higher BC. And the larger slower calibers are just the opposite. Not saying that the .308 isn't doable, hell, the military has been using it for a long time. You just have to make a decision on what is more important.

And as far a burning them up, you will likely get around 2,000 rounds through a good 243 barrel.
                          04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadforce View Post
                            I have always heard on 243 that you can burn the barrel up pretty easy is this true. I have a couple old guys that have told me they have been thru several
                            Any time you are maxing out cases you can burn up a barrel in 500 to 1k rounds. At least to where it looses its pin point accuracy.
                            Photobucket

Comment

Distance shooting with a 22lr is cheap and a lot easier than you would thing.
                              Here's Yale taking his turn with his rifle at 200yds, with SUBSONIC ammo, and a suppressor. Oh, and the wind was gusting to around 40mph that day.
                              Hit steel on the second shot.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X