Selling a firearm in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    I've sold and bought private party, face to face a couple of times and just did a bill of sale with name, address and DL #, just so that if some LEO comes looking for that gun later I can show who I sold it to.

And Daniel - What DallasSleeper said.. How much can you really do? Looking at ID and capturing their info is the most I would consider.

I have seen some people that will only sell private party to CHL holders but I find even that excessive.
    I was not suggesting anything more than what you listed.

Something more that just "he gives you money and you give him a gun" was all I was suggesting.

Law or not, I try to cover my ass as much as possible. I even go off of looks... if the dude doesnt look or act legit (cracked out, constantly checking over his shoulder, walks up from behind a bldg instead of driving a car, etc.) I would have no problem passing on the deal. I dont want to put a gun in the wrong persons hands is all im sayin.

But again, thats just me. YMMV.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Comment

You could require the sale to go through an FFL, to do the background check, but that is a little extreme imo.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
        I was not suggesting anything more than what you listed.

Something more that just "he gives you money and you give him a gun" was all I was suggesting.

Law or not, I try to cover my ass as much as possible. I even go off of looks... if the dude doesnt look or act legit (cracked out, constantly checking over his shoulder, walks up from behind a bldg instead of driving a car, etc.) I would have no problem passing on the deal. I dont want to put a gun in the wrong persons hands is all im sayin.

But again, thats just me. YMMV.

Gotcha.. Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable without at least getting that, regardless of the current atmosphere.

Comment

Deal with CHL take their info give them the gun take their money. CHL means they are clear of any criminal activity as they have to go through an FBI background check before they get their CHL. Also with CHL they don't need to fill out forms for buying firearms at stores.
          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
            Deal with CHL take their info give them the gun take their money. CHL means they are clear of any criminal activity as they have to go through an FBI background check before they get their CHL. Also with CHL they don't need to fill out forms for buying firearms at stores.
            Still have to fill out forms, just the FFL doesn't have to submit it for background check and approval prior to finalizing the sale...
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Agreed, same forms with or without CHL, they just don't have to call in or anything. Very fast process with a CHL.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Hummm I could use a cheap 30-06.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                  I think in light of recent events, id do a little more due diligence to protect myself and ensure im not selling to the next idiot that wants to make headlines... thats just what the media needs... a story detailing that you can buy a gun on the streets legitimately with no paper trail whatsoever.

Just me though.

He asked what was required to make a private party sale. I told him.

I take it as common sense that if something doesn't feel right about the buyer then don't complete the sale. But then again, I guess common sense isn't so common these days.

Comment

Thank you all for the insight and info, lots of good input in here! If I decide to sell the rifle I'll message the members who were interested.

Comment

I read somewhere that that whenever the guy does a private sell he asks for a copy of the buyers drivers license so if anybody comes asking hes able to hand over the info on who bought the firearm. If the buyer doesnt want to give him one he doesnt sell.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                        I read somewhere that that whenever the guy does a private sell he asks for a copy of the buyers drivers license so if anybody comes asking hes able to hand over the info on who bought the firearm. If the buyer doesnt want to give him one he doesnt sell.
                        I brought a photocopy of my drivers license when I bought a gun from Renan in case he wanted it. Lucky for him I haven't committed any crimes with it...yet

Comment

Working...
                        X