Effects of an AWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee View Post
    Neither of those should be effected except for right now availability could be lacking due to all the gun buying in general that's skyrocketing as we speak.
    Yeah I'm not going to be buying anything right now simply for that reason. The insanity is too much for me. I guess my though was people are still going to be spending their gun money, so even after the current rush dies down there will still probably be more demand for other non-banned items.

Originally posted by David View Post
    During the 94 AWB, the only limitations placed on guns were cosmetic. If you met more than any two or more of the "evil" features below on a firearm, you had an illegal weapon.

You also had a ban on names. Such as AR15 could no longer be used. This is where you see Colt using Match Target Rifle etc on their guns. And the same on other guns.

There werent many AR manufacturers during the ban, most were those already in govt production of firearms.

Preban guns were grandfathered along with magazines. Anything afterwards had a LEO/MIL disclaimer saying sale only to them. What terminology they'd use now I have no clue. Preban guns also claimed a premium around the US as you could do as you please with them.

Under the old ban and any potential new one, you also lose your silenced pistols and semi automatic rifles, SBRs, and everything most people buy on a Form 4 or mfg on a Form 1.

Ammo was was no concern. It was actually really cheap and plentiful. Any proprietary ammo that is SBR preferred would almost see a decline in support.
    Great info, thanks for sharing.

It is funny because I look at that list (granted it is from the old law) and think a bull barrel "AR" of any sort with an A2 stock would still be legal. It's just a silver lining, but it's something.

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
    The ABSOLUTE worst part about a new AWB is it will do nothing to prevent further crimes like these. Banning pistol grips, flash hiders or collapsible stocks will not fix shit. So what then? What happens when BHOs new rules don't solve the "problem"? More legislation? More bans until the problem goes away? Which it obviously won't. Its a slippery slope, and giving that first inch will only empower them to steal more
    This part I agree with wholeheartedly. It defies logic, and I'm getting frustrated just reading this.

For my own sake, at this point I just have to move on to other things. My wife has graciously pointed out that I have been getting really angry about all of this but can't do anything, and if I keep getting more worked up over it I will eventually get to the point where I look like a raving lunatic. At this point she is right, so I'll set my sights ahead until the opportunity presents itself to present my opinion or participate in meaningful change. The less ranting I do until then (hopefully) the more seriously my opinion will be taken.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would encourage those (myself included) engaging in panic buying to also write their representatives as opposed to merely stocking up and waiting for a ban

Comment

Well crap, I didn't know suppressors were banned in the 94' AWB. I guess I better accelerate my timeline before I can't do it for a decade (or potentially longer)

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          Well crap, I didn't know suppressors were banned in the 94' AWB. I guess I better accelerate my timeline before I can't do it for a decade (or potentially longer)
          They weren't banned technically, but you had little means of putting on on a gun and they were considered flash hiders.

Comment

I wonder how this will effect machinegun transfers.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              I wonder how this will effect machinegun transfers.
              Under the old ban nothing happened with them.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                Under the old ban nothing happened with them.
                If we're lucky. This one is "perfected."
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If they ban the transfer of existing weapons (Feinstein said this was in her bill), you can write all of your firearms off as a loss on your taxes due to them becoming a static investment (even if you put all your guns in a trust).
                  Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                    If they ban the transfer of existing weapons (Feinstein said this was in her bill), you can write all of your firearms off as a loss on your taxes due to them becoming a static investment (even if you put all your guns in a trust).
                    LOL what happens if your losses exceed your annual taxes?

Comment

Govt pays you and then some?
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

The government allows you to spread a loss over several years. You can also apply past unharvested losses to any financial taxable gains you make in the next year.

Comment

Feinstein's bill is a ball busting bill that won't make it through without any friendly amendments from other supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                            The government allows you to spread a loss over several years. You can also apply past unharvested losses to any financial taxable gains you make in the next year.
                            That's what I figured.

Comment

That's what I figured.
                              I actually went and asked our accountant on that one to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X