Gunsmith gripe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    I get that and honestly, had the call been " we had a problem, now this needs to be done", I don't think I would be bothered. But it was all done as they had planned it this way and this result was to be expected. I guess that's what really caught me off guard. That and bending a bolt handle isn't really up there with "serious custom work".
    If the bolt handle interferes with stuff after bending then it gets tricky. Sorry about the situation.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

It had been years since I had been there, but I was planning to return for a pistol and a "stack on" box. I'm thinking twice about that, now.
      I'm sure there are other dealers who would really appreciate the business, and be polite about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
        Do it yourself or pay the man.
        In retrospect, you are right. I suppose I'm just touchy about it.

Comment

What needed milling after the handle was bent? Was it for proper installation of the new safety?
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
            If the bolt handle interferes with stuff after bending then it gets tricky. Sorry about the situation.
            Yeah, the style of bend they went with needs quite a bit of clearancing.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              What needed milling after the handle was bent? Was it for proper installation of the new safety?
              No, a few areas around the bolt handle base that he was pointing out. That was when the other smith said "well he probably doesn't have a mill to do that".
              Later he mentioned cutting around the safety to fit it as well.

Comment

In retrospect, you are right. I suppose I'm just touchy about it.
                Gun smithing is a dying trade. I've never gone and had something done that was cheap. Everytime its few hundred dollars per item. Its always worth it though since I dont have the tools or experiance to handle certain things.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

No, a few areas around the bolt handle base that he was pointing out. That was when the other smith said "well he probably doesn't have a mill to do that".
                  Later he mentioned cutting around the safety to fit it as well.
                  Seems kinda odd to need to mill around the handle base unless proper angle wasn't achieved during the bending process.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Thought it kind of funny that their website states they're looking to hire a gunsmith...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                      Gun smithing is a dying trade. I've never gone and had something done that was cheap. Everytime its few hundred dollars per item. Its always worth it though since I dont have the tools or experiance to handle certain things.
                      I agree and I've had that experience as well. I generally never have anyone change the agreement mid-game without something resembling an explanation though.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        Seems kinda odd to need to mill around the handle base unless proper angle wasn't achieved during the bending process.
                        I honestly began to lose track of the many areas he was telling me I would have to clearance to make it work, as they were giving it back to me. I'll post pics after its done and before I do any clean up, I imagine the machined areas will be clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                          I'm sure there are other dealers who would really appreciate the business, and be polite about it.
                          oh, they were not purposefully rude. Just one of those situations when you realize there has been a real communication error, or someone is pulling one over on you. Oh well, even after college, I still pay for my lessons.

Comment

Lo profile safety's can be a trick to install depending on which you use. I've done a couple most are fairly straight forward just need dremel time. I don't bend bolt handles any more as it is too time consuming and I won't hand someone a product and say "not go cut here, grind there and polish" I start a job I finish it

as someone else stated I'd have sent the bolt to boltman and had him do it he does nice work and is dirt cheap and quick

I guess I need to invest in another forester jig I've had 3 people in the last month wanting drill and tap jobs on mausers

Comment

Working...
                            X