Learn me on bolt action rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn me on bolt action rifles

Since we're all depressed and unmotivated because of the election you may as well give me your opinions on bolt action rifles. :-)

Primary purpose is for deer hunting and occasion recreation shooting on my in-laws 2200 acres in Morgan, TX. This is my Grandfathers 45 year old Sears/Ted Williams Model 53 .270 Win (basically a Winchester Model 70) that I've been using:

Marcus[/QUOTE]

It's a great gun (got a nice 9 point buck from 125 yards last weekend) but it never hurts to have an extra rifle, right? The furthest shot on my in-laws land would be about 200 yards, and I'd like to stay with .270 Win and wood stock (just preference). I've researched/handled most the brands and have been impressed with the Tikka T3 Hunter and Browning A-Bolt II the most. The Tikka was light with extremely smooth action. The A-Bolt was right behind it and Weatherby seems to be solid. Not that impressed with Savage or Rem 700. No experience with CZ or T/C.

So what's everyone's take on these rifles based on my intended purposes? Is it worth it to step up to a Kimber 84L, Sako, Winchester, etc?

Marcus
    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Sako makes about the best Bolt Gun for hunting, if you can swing the price...

Tikka is made by Sako and is what I hunt with for the past 7 years. Mine is the synthetic version, but the action can't be beat for the price. Triggers are nice, crisp, and adjustable for pull weight...If I had to do it again, I would buy another Tikka before anything else in the same price range.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Don't buy anything made by Cerberus.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Seems like that Tikka T3 Hunter will be hard for me to beat for the price. I was really impressed with the bolt action on it and the reviews I've read have almost all been extremely positive.

Marcus

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
        Sako makes about the best Bolt Gun for hunting, if you can swing the price...

Tikka is made by Sako and is what I hunt with for the past 7 years. Mine is the synthetic version, but the action can't be beat for the price. Triggers are nice, crisp, and adjustable for pull weight...If I had to do it again, I would buy another Tikka before anything else in the same price range.

Comment

FN built Winchester M70 gets my vote. I like the Tikka's but hate their factory DBM setup.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

DOHCTR - seems the Rem rifles have really gone down hill.

Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by 2cammer97 View Post
              DOHCTR - seems the Rem rifles have really gone down hill.

Marcus
              It's not just Remington. It's EVERY company that Cerberus has acquired. They ruin any quality that the company once had...
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Is Cerebus the company that George Soros owns a large percentage of?
                كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                Originally posted by Trick Pony
                ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                  Is Cerebus the company that George Soros owns a large percentage of?
                  No, that is a lie perpetuated by dumbasses.
                  Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

We have bought two savages and a CZ in the last few months. The CZ blows the other two out of the water for accuracy and reliably ejecting spent casings. Granted this is .22LR....but I think the idea probably carries over the entire line.

Comment

I thought those Tikkas were bad ass. I dig the Browning A-Bolt I bought though as well.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the new Winchester Model 70's. They're built by FN, and they're nice. Don't buy a Weatherby, if you can avoid it. The cheap Weatherby rifles are all crap, and the expensive Weatherby rifles just aren't worth what they cost. They made a great rifle, and did something no one else was doing when they came out, but today there are too many viable alternatives to make their price point realistic.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Absolutely love my Tikka Lite. Such smooth action and accurate as hell.

Comment

savage is also a good option.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

This is my Winchester model 70 .270 that I built last year with my father I love this gun shoots amazing we have the trigger at little over 2lbs and it has been bedded and floated in the stock. I have way too many hours in fitting andn finishing to my liking but it was worth it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X