Oklahomans will soon be allowed Open Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahomans will soon be allowed Open Carry

Governor Mary Fallin signed Senate Bill 1733 into a law Tuesday afternoon, making it legal for Oklahomans to get a handgun license and carry their guns unconcealed.

TULSA, Oklahoma - It's official: Oklahoma will be an open carry state starting in November.
    Governor Mary Fallin signed Senate Bill 1733 into a law Tuesday afternoon, making it legal for Oklahomans to get a handgun license and carry their guns unconcealed.

But the bill has triggered a lot of mixed feelings.

Oklahoma is now the 44th state to allow "open carry." Although it seems kind of cut and dry, there are some special requirements to be able to carry your gun freely.

05/14/2012 Related Story: Oklahoma Impact Team: What It's Like In An Open Carry State

Stephen Brewer has a concealed handgun license. He says it's good that Oklahomans will now have the option to carry openly, but he'd rather stick to the traditional approach and keep his gun hidden.

"Sometimes it may be a hazard, Brewer said. "If somebody knows you do have a weapon and it's open, you may be a primary target for a bad person or for a criminal."

There are some stipulations to the law, however, your gun must be in a holster that is either fully or partially visible and also it cannot be any longer than 16 inches.

Oklahomans who plan to carry guns openly must also have a handgun license and an Oklahoma ID on them at all times.

As a convenience store clerk, Daniel Ayodele says he's afraid some unlicensed people might try to take advantage of the new law.

"It will not be wise to do that because when you carry a gun, you can use that to harass people," Ayodele said.

He also feels the state is taking one step backwards by signing this bill into a law.

"That would not be right because it looks like we would be getting back in the old days of the cowboys," he said.

News On 6 found many are for this change.

"I like the law. I think it's a great law," John Danchertsen said. "I think ultimately we'll be safer."

"I think it's okay, especially with everything that's happening and all the home invasions and everything," Lisa Brannin said. "I can certainly understand why someone would want to. I think it's fine."

"Personally, it wouldn't bother me as long as it's in their holster," Mont McNeil said.

This law goes into effect November 1, 2012.

Even with this law, it is still illegal to carry a gun on any government property, schools, and colleges or at a sports arena. Also, you cannot carry your gun while under the influence of alcohol.
    Im kinda mixed on it. It would be easier to carry full sized pistols, but man it attracts attention to you...and if someone is about to rob a place you are in, you are target #1

Good for them. I wish we had that option.
    03 cobra

Comment

That would not be right because it looks like we would be getting back in the old days of the cowboys," he said.
      Am I the only one who thinks we should slip back this way a little bit? As opposed to the "days of the 10001 criminals trying to prey on everyone?"

Also, was unable to ascertain - is it open carry loaded or open carry with magazines somewhere else? Either way, if you want to open carry, great. They have the choice.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I don't know about this. I like the deterrent factor, but I also like the element of surprise. I guess it all depends on how brazen the criminal is.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          I don't know about this. I like the deterrent factor, but I also like the element of surprise. I guess it all depends on how brazen the criminal is.
          That's why I like that folks have a choice. Can do whichever makes you feel more comfortable.

Comment

Also folks need to realize that the tv/movie version of the wild west is just that.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I could rock a mean thigh holster and be a true operator.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                possibly with a Blackwater shirt!

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  That's why I like that folks have a choice. Can do whichever makes you feel more comfortable.
                  This.

Some would argue you are the first target in a robbery. Others would say that a robber isnt generally looking to kill someone, they are looking for quick cash, and someone stading there openly armed would be a deterent to someone who doesnt want a shootout.

Id just like to be able to carry outside my waistband covered by my untucked shirt and not have to worry about it showing if I move or bend.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'm actually not looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      You don't want stump fucking hillbillies trying to show off their bedazzled 1911 grips?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Gonna hamper your "second job" prospects?
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                          You don't want stump fucking hillbillies trying to show off their bedazzled 1911 grips?
                          That's pretty much it.

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          Gonna hamper your "second job" prospects?
                          I'll just have to pay more attention on tha skreetz

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            Id just like to be able to carry outside my waistband covered by my untucked shirt and not have to worry about it showing if I move or bend.
                            One major upside is this here specifically. I can not have to worry about it being 100% concealed...etc...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              No neck beard, no care.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Working...
                              X