Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning suppressor baffles with a torch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning suppressor baffles with a torch?

I got to thinking recently. Cleaning the lead fouling out of a suppressor is a mother bitch if you've ever done it. I've always used a sharp knife to carve the lead out of the baffles, and it's a pretty haphazard crappy way to do things. Tumblers do not work very well, chemical dips really don't work that well. Using a wire wheel works great but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get cancer doing that. So... since I have a stainless baffle... what would the harm be in heating up the baffle to melt the lead off? How well does stainless temper at high heat? Hell, the can gets to several hundred degrees shooting it through an automatic.

Also, anyone familiar with o-ring sizes? Is there some universal measurement standard for them? I need to replace a number of Viton o-ring seals in the can, and I'd like to get a supplier I can order in large quantities.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I'd be worried about warpage due to uneven heating. If you get it too hot you'll cause carbon precipitation and ruin the stainless itself, but that would have to be pretty warm. Personally I would just wear a mask and wire wheel it outside.

http://www.texasseal.com/ is where I get all my seals from, they have/ can get every o-ring you can imagine. There's a $10 minimum I believe as they usually only deal in giant orders.

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
      I'd be worried about warpage due to uneven heating. If you get it too hot you'll cause carbon precipitation and ruin the stainless itself, but that would have to be pretty warm. Personally I would just wear a mask and wire wheel it outside.

http://www.texasseal.com/ is where I get all my seals from, they have/ can get every o-ring you can imagine. There's a $10 minimum I believe as they usually only deal in giant orders.
      My problem isn't necessarily where to buy them, it's really how to identify the seals I need. Is there some standard to measure these?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

could you put it in a really hot ass oven? Doesn't led melt around 600 something degrees?
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
          could you put it in a really hot ass oven? Doesn't led melt around 600 something degrees?
          650 I believe. It's probably not a good idea to melt lead in the oven that cooks my food

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            650 I believe. It's probably not a good idea to melt lead in the oven that cooks my food
            use a cheap coal grill and a metal pan to lay it in? Surely you can get that up to 650degrees with the right fuel.
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I can help you find the viton o-rings, dude.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

My problem isn't necessarily where to buy them, it's really how to identify the seals I need. Is there some standard to measure these?
                Go there with the seals you need to replace or item they need to go in they'll take care of you. I took a handful of seals from a hydraulic pump i was rebuilding to them and they matched them all. They have from cheap to outrageously expensive rings

Comment

Pow:
                  McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

Looks like they just measure them by outer diameter and interior diameter and thickness.

Comment

I think I'll stop by Texas Seal tomorrow - they are right by my office, and I'll bring the can with me on my lunch.

Comment

If the suppressor isn't aluminum, have you tried 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar?
                        IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                          If the suppressor isn't aluminum, have you tried 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar?
                          I have tried that before, not with this one. I might give that a try.

Comment

I have tried that before, not with this one. I might give that a try.
                            Titanium is out, too. Stainless will look awesome after that, but titanium and aluminum will get eaten by it.

Comment

Thanks to Chris (phaux) I went down to Texas Seal today with the can, and they measured and found me both seals I needed for it. Viton 480* seals, ended up getting 48 seals for $20, can't complain considering silencerco charges $10 to ship 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X