Ruger LC9 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger LC9 Issues

I have been experiencing failure to fire issues with my Ruger LC9 quite frequently since it took it out of it's box last year. Using a variety of ammunition, including 115 gr. FMJ Sellier and Belot, Winchester White Box, Federal Premium, and Remington UMC Target. The issue has occurred with each variety. It appears to be caused by debris blocking the firing pin channel causing a light primer strike. So i have routinely disassembled the firearm and removed the firing pin (an arduous task) for cleaning. The firing pin appears to me to be undamaged. So having exhausted my patience and expertise i turned to Ruger customer service. I was informed by their customer service that the Sellier and Belot ammunition is not loaded to U.S. SAAMI factory specs. Upon checking their website i found that their ammunition is loaded to 9mm Nato specs rather than U.S. SAAMI. This still shouldnt cause an issue as the Ruger owner's manual states
    "No 9mm ammunition manufactured in accordance with
    NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

So in summary the pistol will be shipping tomorrow to Ruger for service. I will provide an update once they contact me.

Originally posted by baylordjr View Post
    I have been experiencing failure to fire issues with my Ruger LC9 quite frequently since it took it out of it's box last year. Using a variety of ammunition, including 115 gr. FMJ Sellier and Belot, Winchester White Box, Federal Premium, and Remington UMC Target. The issue has occurred with each variety. It appears to be caused by debris blocking the firing pin channel causing a light primer strike. So i have routinely disassembled the firearm and removed the firing pin (an arduous task) for cleaning. The firing pin appears to me to be undamaged. So having exhausted my patience and expertise i turned to Ruger customer service. I was informed by their customer service that the Sellier and Belot ammunition is not loaded to U.S. SAAMI factory specs. Upon checking their website i found that their ammunition is loaded to 9mm Nato specs rather than U.S. SAAMI. This still shouldnt cause an issue as the Ruger owner's manual states
    "No 9mm ammunition manufactured in accordance with
    NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

So in summary the pistol will be shipping tomorrow to Ruger for service. I will provide an update once they contact me.
    You might want to get someone with an LC9 to measure their firing pin length with a caliper. It might be that yours is too short.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Everything I've heard is that Ruger CS/technical services are pretty good.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Do I smell another recall?

I kid, but am I the only one that thinks Ruger are the recall masters? I haven't been into guns very long so I may lack perspective, but I remember recalls on the LCP and the SR9 both int he past few years.

Ive got an LCP and have had no issues with it even before I sent it in for the recall work, but it does make me a little hesitant to consider newer Ruger products.

Edit: OP hopefully they get it fixed for you.
        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
        -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would never think twice about purchasing a Ruger product, but the only Ruger handguns that interest me are their revolvers, .22s, and small 9mms.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            I would never think twice about purchasing a Ruger product, but the only Ruger handguns that interest me are their revolvers, .22s, and small 9mms.
            2 board members posting ftf-fte problems within a year... Noy a huge deal but at this point i dont think i would trust a ruger to save my life.. just saying.. I have had 2 ejectors <-spck break on my LCP... Finally it's good.. but at the moment i would only trust my springfield or colt as a primary pistol..
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Well, your mistake there is carrying a .380
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Read more carefully sir the firearm in question is a ruger LC9, in 9mm, not .380.

Comment

Originally posted by baylordjr View Post
                  Read more carefully sir the firearm in question is a ruger LC9, in 9mm, not .380.
                  Read more carefully sir. He was talking to Stephen who has an LCP.

Comment

Youre thinking of the LCP

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                      Youre thinking of the LCP
                      He wasn't responding to the OP.

Comment

Yeah! Thanks for setting them straight, little buddy.
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                          Read more carefully sir. He was talking to Stephen who has an LCP.
                          ah, my bad, and my apologies Nash B

Comment

That's what gets me, the 10/22 is one of the most popular 22's as far as I can tell. I have one and so does the wife, never any issues. Its just the newer pistols.

I am going back and forth between a Ruger GP100 and an S&W 686. I have never heard of any widespread issues with the GP100, and I'm pretty sure it has been around for a while longer than the LCP or the SR9, but what I have seen in my short time has me slightly leaning towards the S&W.
                            "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                            -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                              That's what gets me, the 10/22 is one of the most popular 22's as far as I can tell. I have one and so does the wife, never any issues. Its just the newer pistols.

I am going back and forth between a Ruger GP100 and an S&W 686. I have never heard of any widespread issues with the GP100, and I'm pretty sure it has been around for a while longer than the LCP or the SR9, but what I have seen in my short time has me slightly leaning towards the S&W.
                              Ruger revolvers are great quality. Ruger 10/22s are good rifles, but they aren't the "best", they're just the most popular .22 to customize.

Comment

Working...
                              X