Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French Army to replace the Famas with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
    Now I agree with CJ. That is hideous.
    Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
    Ugly barely begins to describe that.
    Damn, well I guess I am the minority here.

I think the m16/ar15 series of rifles is among the ugliest firearms ever produced though.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post

I think the m16/ar15 series of rifles is among the ugliest firearms ever produced though.
      You believe that the Famas is a better looking rifle than the M16?

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        You believe that the Famas is a better looking rifle than the M16?
        Unquestionably.

Comment

I would dare any bubba-dude in America to tangle with a single member of the French Foreign Legion. Good luck, asshole.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

You have to take a shot at the AR15, don't you! I actually find it to be beautiful not only in engineering and design, but in appearance. Second to the AK47 it has the most recognized profile of any rifle there is. I particularly find the M16A1's to be the most intimidating looking.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              You have to take a shot at the AR15, don't you! I actually find it to be beautiful not only in engineer, but in appearance. Second to the AK47 it has the most recognized profile of any rifle there is. I particularly find the M16A1's to be the most intimidating looking.
              I think the A1 is my favorite variant, I just find the shape of the AR15/M16 to be very unappealing. The high sights interrupt the profile and really make it look goofy, along with an awkward forward handgaurd. The receiver (both upper and lower) itself IMO is funny looking as well, with so much odd stuff hanging off of it such as the forward assist, dust cover, shell deflector, and awkwardly placed charging handle. Also, just something that I can't get past no matter how hard I try is the buffer tube. There is just something so unsettling about having a critical component of a firearm's action housed in a flimsy tube that hangs off the ass end of the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                I would dare any bubba-dude in America to tangle with a single member of the French Foreign Legion. Good luck, asshole.
                Did you know that only 1/4 of them are French? The rest are from other nationalities willing to serve the French.

Comment

I think the A1 is my favorite variant, I just find the shape of the AR15/M16 to be very unappealing. The high sights interrupt the profile and really make it look goofy, along with an awkward forward handgaurd. The receiver (both upper and lower) itself IMO is funny looking as well, with so much odd stuff hanging off of it such as the forward assist, dust cover, shell deflector, and awkwardly placed charging handle. Also, just something that I can't get past no matter how hard I try is the buffer tube. There is just something so unsettling about having a critical component of a firearm's action housed in a flimsy tube that hangs off the ass end of the gun.
                  Those high sights were revolutionary, recoil/climb reduction. It's now copied by most modern rifles. I don't think it makes the gun look goofy, I think it makes it look unique and that front sight is legendary, as is the rear sight/carry handle. All of those odd things you described were for the most part pioneered on that rifle, and to this day most rifles still use the same locations and styling. As for the buffer tube it's important to remember the rifle was designed to be accurate, light weight, and a rifle. It was never designed to be a PDW where a folding stuck is necessary. The buffer tube was designed to be inside the stock. The AR15 single handedly brought firearms into the 21st century (in the 20th century).
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    How do you think the average Frenchman would do against a Seal, Ranger MARSOC or Force Recon Marine?

Stupid comparison.

Comment

And there's nothing unsettling knowing that a "controlled" explosion and other moving forces are happening inside mm thin metal walls with our face mere inches away with every firearm in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        And there's nothing unsettling knowing that a "controlled" explosion and other moving forces are happening inside mm thin metal walls with our face mere inches away with every firearm in the world?
                        On a famas it's happening against your ear/brain.

Comment

The high sights of the AR15/M16 aren't as bad as the sights on the Famas.
                          And funny looking with odd stuff hanging off and awkwardly placed? Look at the magazine on the Famas, and what's that right above the forward handguard?

The AR15/M16 might be played out, boring, whatever, but it's nowhere near as butt ugly as the Famas.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            Those high sights were revolutionary, recoil/climb reduction. It's now copied by most modern rifles. I don't think it makes the gun look goofy, I think it makes it look unique and that front sight is legendary, as is the rear sight/carry handle. All of those odd things you described were for the most part pioneered on that rifle, and to this day most rifles still use the same locations and styling. As for the buffer tube it's important to remember the rifle was designed to be accurate, light weight, and a rifle. It was never designed to be a PDW where a folding stuck is necessary. The buffer tube was designed to be inside the stock. The AR15 single handedly brought firearms into the 21st century (in the 20th century).
                            I realize that the sights were essential to the gun's design, but that does not change the fact they I find them to be odd looking. I also realize that the features I listed all serve a legitimate purpose and contribute to the gun's combat effectiveness. However, Stoner himself designed the AR18 in 1963 which is the basis for almost all fourth generation assault rifles such as the l85, SR-88, AUG, G36, ARX160, ACR, SCAR, Tavor, F2000, and I am sure that I am forgetting a few. The m16 was a revolutionary firearm in its day, but I do believe that the alternatives out there now offer more.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              I was speaking less about safety and more about the durability of the system. I prefer the actions of my firearms to be completely housed within the receiver rather than hanging off.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                                The high sights of the AR15/M16 aren't as bad as the sights on the Famas.
                                And funny looking with odd stuff hanging off and awkwardly placed? Look at the magazine on the Famas, and what's that right above the forward handguard?

The AR15/M16 might be played out, boring, whatever, but it's nowhere near as butt ugly as the Famas.
                                Uh dude, every assault rifle ever made has a magazine hanging out of the bottom somewhere. I guess if it bother you then go grab some 5 and 10 rounders. And I honestly have no idea what that thing is (the deal in front of the charging handle hook), but most of the FAMAS rifles seem to not have it-

This all being said I know very little about the FAMAS, I just know that it has a bad reputation and the French are ditching it for an H&K AR15 with a piston on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X