Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French Army to replace the Famas with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Army to replace the Famas with...

The H&K 416

A trusted source has revealed to me that the French Army has adopted the Heckler & Koch HK416 to replace the FAMAS.I will endeavour to find out which model has been adopted.

By all reports, the Famas is a giant hunk of shit-

Rumors that the French military are considering dropping the FAMAS rifle have been spreading fast across the internet.The speculation arose from a post [ English translation] at The Mammoth, a French milblog.I asked Aurelien, an authority on the French military, what he thought of these rumors.I was surprised when he told me that the FAMAS has caused many problems.The F1 model only works with the older M193 (55 grain) 5.56x45mm ammunition and it uses propriety magazines.

I first reported rumors that the French would be replacing the FAMAS rifle back in 2009.During a recent meeting with the Commission of Defense, the French CEMAT (Chef d’Etat Major de l’Arm?e de Terre / Chief of Staff of the Army), General Ract Madoux, confirmed that the French Army would issue a RFP (Request For Proposals) in 2013 for a replacement service rifle for the French Army.

"The F1 model only works with the older M193 (55 grain) 5.56x45mm ammunition and it uses propriety magazines. The FAMAS G2 corrected these problems by modifying the rifle to work with STANAG (AR-15) magazines and the modern SS109 (62 grain) round. So far only the Navy has adopted the newer G2 model. The Army has to source M193 for the FAMAS and SS109 for the FN Minimi machine gun and to make matter worse, stocks of the old M193 are running low."

"The French FAMAS rifle has been a disaster. Its delayed blowback action is powerful enough to rip apart regular NATO brass-cased 5.56x45mm cases and its rifling does not stabilize the modern 5.56mm NATO bullets. The French Army is forced to use steel cased 5.56mm ammunition, thus eliminating the advantages of using the same cartridge as their NATO and EU allies. It that was not bad enough, the ammunition is no longer made in France and has ben to imported. A French journalist told me that China manufactures steel-cased 5.56mm for French military (I will say that another French journalist I spoke to disputes that ammunition is imported from China)."

This all being said, I hope there is an influx of parts kits to the US. I would love to have a Famas to gobble up all kinds of cheap steel cased ammo.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Want to buy a French battle rifle? Never fired and only dropped once.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Not that it matters. You could give them rifles without bolts and it would be years before they discovered it.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I bet it's just Herter's 55 grain.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          I bet it's just Herter's 55 grain.
          Herters is Tula.

Comment

lol @ french army

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
              lol @ french army
              Out of 168 battles fought since 387BC, they have won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10, giving France the most successful military record in European history. France has endured as a great nation and its armies have marched triumphantly into battle from one end of the world to the other, its soldiers and generals among the best in History.

I don't know why, but it just gets under my skin when people throw the whole "Hurr durr France sux" thing out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                Out of 168 battles fought since 387BC, they have won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10, giving France the most successful military record in European history. France has endured as a great nation and its armies have marched triumphantly into battle from one end of the world to the other, its soldiers and generals among the best in History.

I don't know why, but it just gets under my skin when people throw the whole "Hurr durr France sux" thing out there.
                They may have a historically good record, but I don't think Charlemagne or Napoleon are coming back from the dead any time soon to whip the French into shape.

Every Frenchman today has known only surrender from his country. Their leaders of the past 3 generations have been cowards, and the people followed them like sheep. Heck, they just elected Francois Hollande, continuing the that trend.

Some individual French have warrior blood no doubt. That was proven in the french resistance of the Nazi occupation, but the country as a whole? Appeasement and surrender is their M.O. these days.
                Last edited by sc281; 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

The FAMAS is such an ugly piece of shit. It is so. damn. ugly. It literally has no redeeming factors.

If you placed a FAMAS in my hand, I would have the same look on my face as if you literally took a shit in my palm. For a very small moment I considered buying one, but after seeing a picture of one again, I just can't do it.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                    They may have a historically good record, but I don't think Charlemagne or Napoleon are coming back from the dead any time soon to whip the French into shape.

Every Frenchman today has known only surrender from his country. Their leaders of the past 3 generations have been cowards, and the people followed them like sheep. Heck, they just elected Francois Hollande, continuing the that trend.

Some individual French have warrior blood no doubt. That was proven in the french resistance of the Nazi occupation, but the country as a whole? Appeasement and surrender is their M.O. these days.

And we elected Obama, who is just a black Hollande.

The French bore the brunt of the force during WWI and did more than the other allied powers on the Western Front combined. Their brilliant innovations in firearm technology, such as the Minie ball, the French 75, modern smokeless powder, the Lebel 1886, etc. and in aviation influenced the 20th century drastically.

Today France is a nuclear power and is a permanent member of the UN security council. They have some of the best trained and best equipped forces in the world and have been sent to the middle east multiple times to keep Israel and Leabanon in check.

Comment

Acknowledge my famas hatred.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Acknowledge my famas hatred.
                        I think they look pretty neat, but that's just me. A little known fact is that Century, prior to the 1989 import ban actually brought in about 100 rifles-

I have seen them for 8k-10k on gunbroker and sturmgewehr. I really hope they demil the shit out of them so I can have one some day.

Comment

Now I agree with CJ. That is hideous.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Ugly barely begins to describe that.

Comment

Why would the French need guns when they have us?

Comment

Working...
                              X