The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ceyko View Post
    He MAY be referring to something other than 223...(just sayin"). I agree though, I know a lot of folks that frown on using at least the tactical looking ARs for hunting. Personally, if it's not against the law and you can shoot it well - I could not care any less. Although, I like the idea of knowing without a doubt I generally only have that one shot and to make it count. Where with a semi-auto it could be considered that you can be sloppier. (although, I don't know why people shoot at running deer in the woods more than once.)

In regards to the question, if it's not illegal - go do it. I personally won't for deer if I can avoid it. i.e. this is my first year hunting in TX (Deer) and had considered it since my first rifle is in PA. I just bit the bullet and bought another rifle though.
    Ah I see. Are there any rounds sold that are "better" for hunting? Some kind of slug designed for game animals? This is just hypothetical/curiosity working, ideally I'd like to get in hold of a Rem 700 or something for hunting but just dont have the funds right now and I have my bow. I am, however, confident in my shot placement if I were to go that route.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
      What would constitute a quality hunting bullet in 223? Hollow Points?
      Most HP bullets in the .224 diameter bullet class are a varmint bullet that will expand very rapidly and not penetrate very deep potentially not hitting any vital organs. There are a few good hunting bullets out there in the .224 class the most commonly found and used is probably the 60gr Nosler partition there are also the Barnes solid copper loaded by a few companies and Winchesters has a few new loads out designed for pigs so they have to be a fairly tough bullet. If you reload there are a few more choices out there than those and depending on barrel twist there are even a few more.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• It's a great weekend to be out in the woods for bow hunters.

Comment

• Originally posted by jyro View Post
          One I saw last weekend, i hope he can last through the rut before he gets shot.
          In north central Texas generally the rut doesn't occur early like the midwest and the northern States. The first 2 weeks in November characteristically are when the first rut takes place here according to TPWD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
            Just out of curiosity, whats everyone's take on hunting deer with an AR? Seems like its generally frowned upon in the hunting community, but is there any substance to the attitude toward it?
            If you need to use a weapon that is semi or full automatic in order to shoot a deer then you don't need to be hunting deer in the first place. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Here's a few of the pics off the camera from last weekends trip. There is a freak NT not sure if he's on his way out or a future monster, also a darn nice main frame 8 that may have a kicker or 2 and a nice old buck with a heck of a horn on one side and a broken/deformed horn on the other.

Comment

• DAMN! I want the freak!
                1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

• He's kinda wild hopefully he meets antler restrictions, I wouldn't mind him being on the wall.

Comment

• Shot this Axis on Friday evening

Then killed 27 doves between my wife and I Saturday evening. She's starting to become a pretty damn good shot, she got her first double that night

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                    East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                    https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• Nice Axis, I have always thought they were very good looking. I also hear they make for some pretty good eating as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee View Post
                        Nice Axis, I have always thought they were very good looking. I also hear they make for some pretty good eating as well.
                        In my opinion they are the best tasting out of the deer family.
                        "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                        East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                        https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• Every day/night he is cumming by. Got a blind set up today.

Comment

• Dammit man!
                            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

• Wow very impressive deer. Is that temp correct?

Comment

• Yes yes it is correct

Comment

Working...
                                X