Best way to clean cosmoline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean cosmoline?

I recently picked up a few old Mausers that are just covered in cosmoline. I have had guns in the past with light coats on the bolts/receiver and whatnot, but these things look like some Slavic fuck just dunked them in a giant vat of the goo and put them in a warehouse for the better part of a century.

I have heard of using paint thinner, diesel, simple green, kerosene, etc. but I do not want to damage the finish of the stocks (they are sweating cosmo). What methods have you used in the past?
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

I sweat them outside in the sun on a tarp and wipe them down every few hours. It's a looooong process, but gets it done.
    Slow moving projects
    1964 C10 350/700r4
    1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
      I sweat them outside in the sun on a tarp and wipe them down every few hours. It's a looooong process, but gets it done.
      Hmm, I like it. Lawn chair + beer + guns hanging = results!

Comment

Today’s and tonight’s Dallas, TX weather forecast, weather conditions and Doppler radar from The Weather Channel and Weather.com

Looks like it will be a good day for cooking guns outside in the DFW.

Comment

I just cleaned my Mosin. Lowes sells decreaser by the gallon in the paint dept. I got a 5 gallon bucket and put every piece of metal in there besides the barrell and wood. I poured the degreaser in the bucket and let it sit for a few hours. When I pulled the parts out they were very clean and the cosmoline had all floated to the top. As for the wood, I wiped off the top layer of cosmoline with a little degreaser and set it outside all day to sweat. Be sure and use a tarp!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
            Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
            http://www.weather.com/weather/today...+USTX0327:1:US

Looks like it will be a good day for cooking guns outside in the DFW.
            Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            Hmm, I like it. Lawn chair + beer + guns hanging = results!
            Problem = solved.

"Sweating" them seems to be the best way to go about it without risking damage to any components.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Mineral Spirits should work as well.

Comment

Make a oven out of a metal trashcan and wait. Right now is a great time with them temps. 105 here today.

Comment

Wrap in black trash bag and hang it out in the sun. Wipe the cosmo that weeps out off periodically. Repeat until it stops sweating, or you've had enough. Though if it's really soaked into the wood you may never get it all out without stripping the finish.
                  Jon

Comment

pull the bolt open and keep the action level and aimed down, so the cosmoline doesn't seep into the wood stock.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                      Mineral Spirits should work as well.
                      Simple Green works too and is a little less harsh.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Alex since I don't have either a backyard or a front yard, I can't just put out and cook my guns for the better part of society to see. So I just use a heat gun to "cook" the cosmoline into liquid form, and watch it oooze out from the front of the muzzle.
                        Last edited by Mr_Fiux; 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM. Reason: Punctuation
                        First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
                          Alex since I don't have either a backyard or a front yard, I can't just put out and cook my guns for the better part of society to see. So I just use a heat gun to "cook" the cosmoline into liquid form, and watch it oooze out from the front of the muzzle.
                          Same problem here, I do not have a yard but I recon I can put them in my Dad's this weekend and drink his beer.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                            Same problem here, I do not have a yard but I recon I can put them in my Dad's this weekend and drink his beer.
                            Problem solved. Oh yeah. BUCKETS! Make sure you have a dripping container. I didn't think it would actually be like liquid and I though a towel would have sufficed.
                            First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
                              Problem solved. Oh yeah. BUCKETS! Make sure you have a dripping container. I didn't think it would actually be like liquid and I though a towel would have sufficed.
                              Holy shit dude, how much crap actually comes out of a cosmo soaked gun?

Comment

Working...
                              X