Obama calls for measures against gun violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama calls for measures against gun violence

Faced with a clamor in his party for stricter gun control in the wake of the Colorado movie-theater massacre, President Obama said Wednesday night he would “leave no stone unturned” in seeking new measures to reduce violence nationwide, including more restrictive background checks on gun purchases.

“A lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals,” Mr. Obama said at the annual National Urban League convention in New Orleans. “They belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities.”

The president blamed “politics and lobbying” for defeating gun-control measures when outcries arise after mass shootings in the U.S. And he said the nation’s attention should not just be focused on mass shootings, such as the one on Friday in Aurora, Colo., but on the daily shooting deaths of youths from gun violence in major cities.

“Every day, the number of young people we lose to violence is about the same as the number of people we lost in that movie theater,” Mr. Obama said. “For every Columbine or Virginia Tech, there are dozens gunned down on the streets of Chicago or Atlanta, here in New Orleans. Violence plagues the biggest cities, but it also plagues the smallest towns.”

It was Mr. Obama’s first comment on gun violence since the shooting in Aurora that killed 12 people and wounded 58. Police said James Holmes, 24, carried out the killings with an assault rifle, a shotgun and two handguns.

Progressives are pushing Mr. Obama, who campaigned four years ago on a platform of stricter gun control, to speak out on the subject and use the tragedy to impose stricter gun regulations. But the White House has been saying since the shooting last week that Mr. Obama has no plans to seek new gun legislation.

The president used the speech to the Urban League to defend his own actions to date on gun control, as much as to call for tougher controls.

“We’ve been able to take some actions on our own, recognizing that it’s not always easy to get things through Congress these days,” Mr. Obama said. “The background checks on those looking to purchase firearms are now more thorough and more complete. Instead of just throwing more money at the problem of violence, the federal government is now in the trenches with communities and schools and law enforcement … we’re partnering with local officials to reduce crime using best practices.”

He added that the administration has been promoting intervention programs to keep young people out of gangs.

But he said those steps have not been effective enough, and blamed “opposition in Congress” for preventing more restrictive gun laws.

“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Mr. Obama said. “But I also believe that the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons, that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can [purchase a gun], that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense. So I’m going to continue to work with members of both parties and with religious groups and with civic organizations to arrive at a consensus around violence reduction. Not just of gun violence, but violence at every level.”

Here we go again.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Don't worry guys, if I ever go Four Loko and go on a murderous rampage, I'm going to use a piece of rope, a shard of broken glass and a bible. Let's see you ban that shit!

Comment

“A lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals,”
      I think every law abiding gun owner agrees guns don't belong in the hands of criminals. I guess the plan is to turn us into criminals.

Comment

Good thing I just purchased 18 pmags on sale.
        First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Sale still active?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          03 cobra

Comment

Sowing the seeds of his defeat this November.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              Sowing the seeds of his defeat this November.
              we can only dream.
              "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Any one else notice, that's its always Mr. Obama, instead of president?

Sent from a bathroom

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                  “A lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers
                  Agree, but not only in the hands of soldiers.
                  not in the hands of criminals,” Mr. Obama said at the annual National Urban League convention in New Orleans.
                  Agree - but Holmes wasn't a criminal until he started shooting people.
                  “They belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities.”
                  Agree, but they also belong in the homes of law-abiding citizens who choose to have them.
                  “But I also believe that the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons, that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can [purchase a gun], that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily."
                  Sounds like things we already have?
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Fry86 View Post
                    Any one else notice, that's its always Mr. Obama, instead of president?

Sent from a bathroom
                    You must've missed the first sentence.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Maybe they should just ban assholes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        Im fucked.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          Chick-fil-a would support that legislation
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by brandon01rt View Post
                            Sale still active?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                            Yeah its from our gun customer service friendly folks of SAA
                            First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

I am all for calls for measures against gun violence.

Commit the crime and after being convicted, sentencing should be swift and severe. Stop slapping douche bags on the wrist and releasing them back into society.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X