Do I want a 7.5" or 10+" barrel SBR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I want a 7.5" or 10+" barrel SBR?

I have been looking at SBR stuff for a ar15 build and not knowing much on the subject I have read a bunch of people say that the 7.5" barrel is just a novelty, really loud, will void warranty on most suppressors, and hurts a standard 55g rounds performance. My goal with the rifle is to leave it be for now and some day get a can for it.

What do you guys suggest?
    Last edited by CJ; 07-25-2012, 07:33 AM.

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
    I have been looking at SBR stuff for a ar15 build and not knowing much on the subject I have read a bunch of people say that the 7.5" barrel is just a novelty, really loud, will void warranty on most suppressors, and hurts a standard 55g rounds performance. My goal with the rifle is to leave it be for now and some day get a can for it.

What do you guys suggest?
    I built a 11.5" pistol with a carbine gas system and found out that the 10.5" would not allow enough space between the flash hidder/suppressor mount and the gas block for my G5 to go on. So it depends on your suppressor mount, gas block location/type, etc on what you need to run.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
      I built a 11.5" pistol with a carbine gas system and found out that the 10.5" would not allow enough space between the flash hidder/suppressor mount and the gas block for my G5 to go on. So it depends on your suppressor mount, gas block location/type, etc on what you need to run.
      For a gun that I planned on shooting much, I'd definitely opt for an 11.5" gun. The 7" guns are silly fun, but it's not worth the trade in reliability / velocity to me to save 4".

Comment

I had a 7.5" adams arms pistol, it did exactly what I wanted, give me a fun time at the range. Grouped fine and no failures during my ownership. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.
        Ded

Comment

Or go with something like a .300blk

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
            I had a 7.5" adams arms pistol, it did exactly what I wanted, give me a fun time at the range. Grouped fine and no failures during my ownership. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.
            exactly that. Not trying to make it my home defense piece but I don't want a piece of crap either.

Comment

7.5 pistol, 10.5-11.5 SBR

Comment

My 10.5 pistol is a blast.
                And grouping is pretty darn decent at 100yrds

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Anything less than 11.5" will void most silencer manufacturers warranties for 5.56 barreled guns.

Comment

ok so what is the real difference if you are going to use the 7.5" for a pistol and not a rifle?

Comment

exactly that. Not trying to make it my home defense piece but I don't want a piece of crap either.
                      I'm thinking about getting one of the redx arms 7.5" uppers next.
                      Ded

Comment

ok so what is the real difference if you are going to use the 7.5" for a pistol and not a rifle?
                        AR pistols are considered toys by most. An SBR is a rifle, and could be used in traditional roles.

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                          I'm thinking about getting one of the redx arms 7.5" uppers next.
                          That's the same one I was thinking of picking up. Thanks for the link in another thread. I have been scouring the Internet for info on these and I don't find a bunch of people who recommend a 7.5 " rifle. I have however seen a few videos of 7.5" rifles grouping well @ 50yd. To me for a rifle so short that is great and about the useful range I would expect out of it. It is loud as fuck and has a huge fireball from what I have noticed. Looks like it is going to piss some people off at the range.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            AR pistols are considered toys by most. An SBR is a rifle, and could be used in traditional roles.
                            I understand the real difference between the two I was more wondering why it is acceptable by most to have a 7.5" pistol but it is frowned upon for a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              Anything less than 11.5" will void most silencer manufacturers warranties for 5.56 barreled guns.
                              My Trek is 10.3, going with a 10.5 on mine...

Comment

Working...
                              X