Kimber 84m classic .308 Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimber 84m classic .308 Opinions

I'm looking at one of these used. Has anyone here personally shot one or owned what? If so what did you think about it? Just looking at internet reviews most seem to like the rifle, but feel it falls a little short in accuracy.

I plan on using it for deer season, and the only time it will see at the "range" would be to sight it in.

How much you looking to spend on a dedicated deer rifle with optics?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Their nice but a lot of the people I've talked to they either shoot lights out or mediocre. Unless it's a superb deal is look elsewhere.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I have a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. Kimber makes a rifle that has all the features I find desirable in a hunting bolt action;

Cock-on-open
        3 position safety
        Mauser 98 derived action
        Mauser claw extractor
        Bolt removal button other than the trigger
        Incredibly light weight
        Short bolt throw
        Factory Pachmayr pad
        Adjustable trigger

I have a Leupold VXIII on it and at 100 yards it will group about 1-1.5 inches. I like it, but even with the recoil pad the 300wsm will wear you out quick. Luckily I only shoot it two or three times a year.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

My Tikka T3 Lite in .308 has made for a very nice deer rifle for the past 6-7 years. Topped it with Leupold 4-12x40 glass and haven't missed any animal i've shot at with it. Guaranteed 3-shot, 1 inch groups with factory ammo. Has to shoot this before they will let it leave the factory. Buttery Smooth bolt, and excellent adjustable trigger.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Off the shelf tikka will shoot better, but it wont look as good. If you dont have confidence in your hunting rifle. you will miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              Off the shelf tikka will shoot better, but it wont look as good. If you dont have confidence in your hunting rifle. you will miss.
              Agreed on the looks, but to me, a hunting rifle should be one that you are not afraid to get scratched or dinged up and can trust to be accurate when that shot of a lifetime presents itself...

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                I have a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. Kimber makes a rifle that has all the features I find desirable in a hunting bolt action;

Cock-on-open
                3 position safety
                Mauser 98 derived action
                Mauser claw extractor
                Bolt removal button other than the trigger
                Incredibly light weight
                Short bolt throw
                Factory Pachmayr pad
                Adjustable trigger

I have a Leupold VXIII on it and at 100 yards it will group about 1-1.5 inches. I like it, but even with the recoil pad the 300wsm will wear you out quick. Luckily I only shoot it two or three times a year.
                I don't think the 84 series has a shorter bolt throw.

OP I would look at a FN built Winchester M70 built in South Carolina the, BrowningX bolt, or Sako line of hunting rifles. The Winchester offers controlled round feed like the Kimber with a 1 MOA or better accuracy guarantee, the Browning and Sako both offer shorter bolt throws and a factory DBM option.
                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  Agreed on the looks, but to me, a hunting rifle should be one that you are not afraid to get scratched or dinged up and can trust to be accurate when that shot of a lifetime presents itself...

This why i own a tikka. Its one of the best out of the box beater guns you can get.

Comment

From the sounds of it I may shoot the guy a lowball offer and if he takes it fine if not I will just keep looking for a deal on something else. He is asking $900 for it, which I thought was a little high for a used gun(30rds) with a couple of "light scratches".

I don't need the gun, I've got several rifles that are good for deer. I've just never owned a highish end bolt action with a nice wood stock, so I've been keeping my eye out for a deal on one. Mainly I've been looking for a Sako, TC Icon or A-bolt.

If I don't find one I can always pull out the trusty old 700 30-06 or DPMS 308.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      I've just never owned a highish end bolt action
                      Even if you bought this gun, you still wont have.
                      Originally posted by lincolnboy
                      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                        Even if you bought this gun, you still wont have.
                        I realize your opinion of high end and mine are different, how about a $1000-$2000 bolt action not including optics. Is that specific enough? By highish I was implying not a 700 with a synthetic stock, just a nice gun with decent looking wood. Some day when I'm balling out of control I'll drop money on a real high end gun, but no need for that at this point in my life.

Comment

Real Wood or laminate?

Comment

Most of the Real Beautiful guns are in the hands or collectors not to be seen again for a long time...

Comment

make and finish your own stock, it isn't that difficult, you only need a few tools.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X