AR - .308 or .300blk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR - .308 or .300blk?

I’ve got a complete AR15 lower sitting around and now that I’ve got a little bit of “fun money” saved up I want to do something with it. I was thinking about getting a 16” 300 blackout upper from Red x to finish it off. The other option was selling it and buying parts to start an AR10.

From what I have read the 300 blk was really designed for suppressed sbr use, fairly sure I won’t be pursuing that route any time soon. I am looking at it as a more cost effective version of an AR10 since I can use the lower and mags I already have.

Only reason I can think of to go with .308 would be because I have a Remington 700 in .308 so they could share ammo.

I'm leaning towards the .300blk, but I’m curious if any of you guys would choose the AR10 and why? Could longevity be an issue for .300blk? Just wondering if I have missed anything important here.

Edit: Would split time with my rem. 700 for hunting (hog, deer, ect) and general paper punching.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

If you're not going to SBR or suppress, .300 blk is a waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      x2
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You better have a lot of fun money saved up for an AR10.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          Originally posted by CJ View Post
          x2
          I'm not understanding what you mean by "waste of time"? Building from the ground up I agree with you, and if that's where I was I would probably start acquiring parts for an AR10.

In my case it is actually cheaper and quicker since I already have a lower for it to go on. $400 upper delivered to my door and I'm done. I guess there's always something like 6.8 special or 6.5 grendel but I get the impression .300blk would have cheaper and more readily available, ammo wise.

What am I losing by using .300blk as a poor man’s AR10?
          Last edited by slow06; 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM.
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

It's built as a suppressed or SBR round your performance gains in a longer barrel are little to none. If you want to use the AR15 platform go 6.8SPC or 6.5Grendel/264LBC then if you reload the 6x45 is a good round as well.

Comment

It depends at what distances you want to shoot. I have a .308 bolt action for long range and a 6.8spc for sub 300 meters. Since I mostly hunt in east Texas I take my 6.8 out the majority of the time. Both are sub moa at 100 yards and I have never had anything run away.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                I'm not understanding what you mean by "waste of time"? Building from the ground up I agree with you, and if that's where I was I would probably start acquiring parts for an AR10.

In my case it is actually cheaper and quicker since I already have a lower for it to go on. $400 upper delivered to my door and I'm done. I guess there's always something like 6.8 special or 6.5 grendel but I get the impression .300blk would have cheaper and more readily available, ammo wise.

What am I losing by using .300blk as a poor man’s AR10?
                I'm going to really quickly make some suggestions cause I'm busy at the office but these are summaries of what I've learned and my personal knowledge.
                • .300 BLK is a great cartridge for short barrels, and the only decent option for subsonic available for AR15's.
                • .300 BLK is only average when fired supersonic in comparison to 6.8 and .223.
                • Do not build an AR-10 - buy a complete one, you can almost never piece one together for cheaper.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                  It's built as a suppressed or SBR round your performance gains in a longer barrel are little to none. If you want to use the AR15 platform go 6.8SPC or 6.5Grendel/264LBC then if you reload the 6x45 is a good round as well.
                  Do you have any idea on how 6.8SPC has caught on? I'm wondering about longevity of the caliber. When I start thinking about 6.8 SPC I start thinking I should just start over and go AR10.

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
                  It depends at what distances you want to shoot. I have a .308 bolt action for long range and a 6.8spc for sub 300 meters. Since I mostly hunt in east Texas I take my 6.8 out the majority of the time. Both are sub moa at 100 yards and I have never had anything run away.

I'm going to really quickly make some suggestions cause I'm busy at the office but these are summaries of what I've learned and my personal knowledge.
                  • .300 BLK is a great cartridge for short barrels, and the only decent option for subsonic available for AR15's.
                  • .300 BLK is only average when fired supersonic in comparison to 6.8 and .223.
                  • Do not build an AR-10 - buy a complete one, you can almost never piece one together for cheaper.
                  I appreciate your input. I know you guys know guns better than I do so its nice to hear from people with more experience.

Glad you mentioned buying AR-10. I really like building them (15's at least) but I haven't priced parts vs whole yet. I was expecting similar but I guess they just aren't popular enough to be as inexpensive.

Comment

Be a little different and build a G3 or an FAL!

Or buy a complete G3 from PTR for cheap. Mags cost less than a dollar, parts are insanely cheap, and you can customize the fuck out of them much like an AR if you so desire. Buds has a good deal on complete PTRs too.
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      Be a little different and build a G3 or an FAL!

Or buy a complete G3 from PTR for cheap. Mags cost less than a dollar, parts are insanely cheap, and you can customize the fuck out of them much like an AR if you so desire. Buds has a good deal on complete PTRs too.
                      The only real downside is mounting optics and suppressing them.

Comment

The only real downside is mounting optics and suppressing them.
                        Yes, that can be a bitch on the G3s. FALs are however very easy to mount optics on and suppress. The adjustable gas system makes suppressing easy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                          Yes, that can be a bitch on the G3s. FALs are however very easy to mount optics on and suppress. The adjustable gas system makes suppressing easy as hell.
                          I should have clarified I was talking about G3's only.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                            Do you have any idea on how 6.8SPC has caught on? I'm wondering about longevity of the caliber. When I start thinking about 6.8 SPC I start thinking I should just start over and go AR10. .
                            6.8 is not going anywhere it's way to mainstream now.

Comment

I should have clarified I was talking about G3's only.
                              Yeah, however many of the PTRs come with a picatinny rail welded on top now.

Comment

Working...
                              X