M1911 Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
    sorry, that link was for the OP...not you.

I am away from home till Thursday so can't get you pics right now. I have a little over 100 rounds through it as I have gotten busy and haven't been to the range in a while. I did do a practical shooting competition this weekend but used my SIG as I didn't have enough mags for the DE. I am a little better with the DE and plan to use it at the next competition to see which I like better.

I'll try to remember to get you pics but I will probably forget... I don't recall anything weird though. Have you read something about a weak point to watch for?
    No, I'm only asking for evaluation purposes. 1911's don't fit together like legos. There are about 30 ways that a company could cut costs or save time when fitting them. Most of them are fairly easy to spot if you can disassemble the gun, but some of the tell tale signs are poorly fitted components. Excessive play in the slide/frame, any movement of the barrel under lockup, how well fitted the grip safety is, how well smoothly the horns of the frame are shaped at the grip safety pivot, trigger fitments/dragging bow/ improperly adjusted pretravel, etc.

Generally, gun that has been poorly fitted will show it in a few areas.

Comment

1911s

Originally posted by Axe168 View Post
      I carry a Springfield MC Operator for work, little over 5k rounds ZERO Malufuntions and has an adjustable trigger as most of the loaded model Springfields do. Great fit and finish. My trigger is at 5lbs.
      Colts are nice but definitely more expensive. If moneys no expense get a Colt Model 80. But Find a used Springfield Loaded model or a Range Officer on Texas Gun Trader to save a bit more. Or buy a new one. I have a stainless Springfield loaded model with target sights. It comes with lots of accuracy extras and is target model accurate. Really the Springfields, even the government models just can't be beat, price for value! Its made me a much better pistol shot and will feed anything. I've shoot 2000+ rounds through mine with very little issues. I'd say any failure to feed I've experienced has been due to my loading some rounds too light. I'm always tinkering with diff powders and bullets but you do have to put enough powder in the brass.

Don't have any experience with the Rock Islands but they look to be well manufactured, fit and finish, just never fired one.

M

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
        Making a decision between Springfield and Colt. Would do para arms or RRA but I want an American (Fuck Yeah!) Gun.
        You want "assembled" in America or "Made" In America?

Assembled = Colt, Springfield
        100% Made = Ruger, and a few other More Expensive customs.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by Old eyes View Post
          Colts are nice but definitely more expensive. If moneys no expense get a Colt Model 80. But Find a used Springfield Loaded model or a Range Officer on Texas Gun Trader to save a bit more. Or buy a new one. I have a stainless Springfield loaded model with target sights. It comes with lots of accuracy extras and is target model accurate. Really the Springfields, even the government models just can't be beat, price for value! Its made me a much better pistol shot and will feed anything. I've shoot 2000+ rounds through mine with very little issues. I'd say any failure to feed I've experienced has been due to my loading some rounds too light. I'm always tinkering with diff powders and bullets but you do have to put enough powder in the brass.

Don't have any experience with the Rock Islands but they look to be well manufactured, fit and finish, just never fired one.

M

Wat?

Comment

Working...
          X