M1911 Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
    How common is good 10mm ammo in stores? It's not a bad round but it wouldn't be my first or second choice for keeping my ass alive when big fuzzy things are roaming around and decide they want to cuddle. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
    It's not super common but the main concern typically is that it's is under loaded to 40S&W velocity at a higher price.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I like the way CJ loads his 10mm's.
      Ded

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
        I like the way CJ loads his 10mm's.
        1600fps = "snappy."
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Double Tap makes full power 10mm loads. I think Buffalo Bore does too.
          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
            Double Tap makes full power 10mm loads. I think Buffalo Bore does too.
            Have you seen them chronograghed them? That's the big issue is they are advertised as such but aren't same as the 38 Super Auto.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              It's not super common but the main concern typically is that it's is under loaded to 40S&W velocity at a higher price.
              Exactly what i was getting at, if you aren't a competent reloader I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Have you seen them chronograghed them? That's the big issue is they are advertised as such but aren't same as the 38 Super Auto.
                I personally have not. The chrono results I have seen people post on the internet for DT were usually 50-100 fps lower than what they advertise. That's at least better than the weak FBI strength loads that most companies are selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                  I personally have not. The chrono results I have seen people post on the internet for DT were usually 50-100 fps lower than what they advertise. That's at least better than the weak FBI strength loads that most companies are selling.
                  Still only 100-85fps faster than 40S&W on ammo thats harder to find as well. I wouldn't recommend 10mm unless you reload, that's when the cartridges true potential really shines.

Comment

How common is good 10mm ammo in stores? It's not a bad round but it wouldn't be my first or second choice for keeping my ass alive when big fuzzy things are roaming around and decide they want to cuddle. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
                    good 10mm? Usually it's hot .40. The reason being is the difference between .40 and 10mm is big, despite what gun manufacturers designed to. So, many of the 10mm are pretty mild. Some companies like buffalo, corbon and double tap put the heat on it, but to get the most out of 10mm you will want to reload.

A properly loaded 10mm has a huge difference compared to .40.

135 gr (8.7 g) Federal Premium JHP Reduced Recoil 1,190 ft/s (360 m/s) 424 ft·lbf (575 J)
                    180 gr (12 g) Magtech FMJ-FP 1,050 ft/s (320 m/s) 441 ft·lbf (598 J)

10mm
                    135 gr (8.7 g) Underwood HP 1,600 ft/s (490 m/s) 767 ft·lbf (1,040 J)
                    180 gr (12 g) Hornady XTP 1,350 ft/s (410 m/s) 728 ft·lbf (987 J)

Nearly double the energy delivery as a .40. I load my 185gr to 1400fps, and in a 7" barrel it chronos 1450. That's probably the hardest hitting load for the 10mm, that's the sweet spot. Load with AA7 or 800X.

Here's VaderTT on my delta with some hot lots. First mag is 200gr @ 1300fps, second and third are 1600fps 135gr loads:

A Delta or similar 10mm 1911 can handle a 10mm probably better than any other manufacturer, just make sure you're changing your mainspring ever 1,000 rounds. 10mm is brutal on springs. Yale was talking to my last night about some ported barrels on the market that will help with internal wear as well.
                    Last edited by CJ; 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Still only 100-85fps faster than 40S&W on ammo thats harder to find as well. I wouldn't recommend 10mm unless you reload, that's when the cartridges true potential really shines.
                      Yeah, that is disappointing when you put it that way since they do charge a shitload more for 10mm ammo.
                      I plan on getting a Delta Elite in the near future so I guess I'll be loading my own.

Comment

The Government of Denmark has issued the Glock 20 pistol chambered for the 10mm Auto cartridge to members of the Sirius Patrols in Greenland. The pistols were issued as a defense against polar bears which the patrols encounter.
                        Forgot about this.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          Forgot about this.
                          Siriusly?

Comment

I agree with Jose, for woods carry I'd find a revolver, preferably a .44 magnum or larger. A .45acp is better than nothing but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it in a bear attack.
                            Maybe a .44 Special for those that are recoil shy I'm picturing a nice N Frame SS Smith 7 shot .357 Magnum

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                              Siriusly?
                              yep, no shit. Anti-polar bear semi auto.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                                yep, no shit. Anti-polar bear semi auto.
                                I was just making a Sirius joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X