Help Building Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Building Targets

Taking some friends out to our ranch in a couple of weeks to have some fun. Would like to build some different types of targets to shoot at. Any of you guys built some. Please post some pics or ideas.

Thanks!

Insert potato / lemon / etc on stick, aim fire! Let animals clean up the mess after you leave. I prefer lemons myself because the vaporized lemon juice is a pleasant smell.
    Jon

Comment

Gone that route a few times. Looking at more of something I can hang paper targets on or even something with steel plates.

Comment

couple of short A frames with chain holding up a 1/2 inch steel plate
        Some old bowling pins

Comment

PVC pipe and wooden slats to staple targets to. I built 4 of the stand pictured below for 20 bucks or so with all the materials bought from a local mom and pop joint. I can break down 10 or so of them and fit them in the trunk of the Mustang pretty easily.

Steel targets are going to be costly to build even if you do the yourself. If you want to shoot them with rifles for very long you need to build them from AR500 steel (armor plate basically) heavy and VERY expensive stuff. If you are just shooting them with pistols you can go with a lower grade steel but it's still going to be costly to build them if you buy the materials new.

Now if you have a crap load of scrap steel laying around and you have a torch and a welder your imagination is the only limit you have.
          2004 Suzuki DL650
          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
            PVC pipe and wooden slats to staple targets to. I built 4 of the stand pictured below for 20 bucks or so with all the materials bought from a local mom and pop joint. I can break down 10 or so of them and fit them in the trunk of the Mustang pretty easily.
            X2 on this. And despite what you do, don't glue the pipes together for the a fore mentioned packing and transportation.

Here's some sample instructions:

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Thanks fellas! That will work pretty good for what I need.

Comment

I wouldn't shoot regular steel. It is extremely likely to come back at you. Even ar500 comes back a bunch at close range. Regular a36 will have a lot of flex in it.

Comment

What we did at a campsite is use an old vollyball net . Drive a pair of T posts down and slip a 6' metal pole over each. Connect the net, and now you have a nice wide banner to clip targets onto.

Worked great and cleanup is easy

Comment

I like the PVC pipe idea. Here is a video I found that's pretty easy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjS5P-pDIg4[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
                      I like the PVC pipe idea. Here is a video I found that's pretty easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjS5P-pDIg4
                      Man, that's WAY too complicated. The two I posted just require a saw and don't use glue so you can break it down. The 1x2's and cardboard will hold the target well enough. You don't need a frame like he built.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Thanks Ghost!!!

Comment

If anyone ever goes the "steel route" and wants to borrow a welder hit me up. I'd be happy to let you use my stick or MIG. (Both 220). I can cut up to 3/8" with ease and could break out the oxy if necessary. You'll need to bring your steel to Mansfield though, my tools don't travel.
                          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
                          X