Cabela's Gun Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabela's Gun Library

I've always liked to browse through Cabela's Gun Library as they sometimes have cool pieces but felt that their prices are usually much higher than market value. I've also noticed that on a lot of guns on their used racks they are asking more than their sale prices on the same model brand new. In general their prices on new guns suck too if you compare to CTD, Bud's, etc.

I never gave it much thought until I saw a Colt Huntsman in excellent condition there that caught my interest because I've been collecting vintage and target .22 pistols. Out of curiosity I did a Google search and found out they are sometimes willing to negotiate on price. I went back last night got them down 20% off their asking price to what I feel is a pretty good price on that Huntsman.

Just thought I would share my experience. The buyer/seller at the Allen store was a pretty cool guy. Avid gun collector and retired surgeon who just works there because he loves guns. I asked him about getting to cherry pick what comes in and he said he actually has to put everything up for sale for 45 days before he is allowed to buy.
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

I think a lot depends on the manager/department head on how much they are willing to come off their marked price.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Yeah - once I figured out they negotiated though - that used gun area became a lot more interesting.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        I think a lot depends on the manager/department head on how much they are willing to come off their marked price.
        True, and it also depends on how much they paid for the gun, target margin, market value, rarity, etc. They were only willing to come down 7% or so on another gun I inquired about.
        If they have something that sits for a long time they seem to be more willing to deal too.

Comment

I have purchsed several guns from Cabelas over the past 2 years. What I learned is that if you go to Kurt Junker in the gun library, he is usually willing to make a deal and he's a pretty cool guy on top of that. He's hooked me up 2 times on used Glocks. He is the big boss over the gun department.

Comment

I have bought several new guns from Cabelas. However when I find a decent used one and make an offer (not a lowball offer, just maybe taxes) they reject ANY offer lower than shown on price tag! I have tried this maybe 1/2 doz times.
            I have since quit trying to buy used from there. I watch their sales for new stuff. Got a great deal on a Ruger SP-101.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
              I have bought several new guns from Cabelas. However when I find a decent used one and make an offer (not a lowball offer, just maybe taxes) they reject ANY offer lower than shown on price tag! I have tried this maybe 1/2 doz times.
              I have since quit trying to buy used from there. I watch their sales for new stuff. Got a great deal on a Ruger SP-101.

Randy
              I'm specifically looking at collector type guns in their Gun Library and the buyer/seller has an office in there. I've never tried it on regular used guns but I'd assume the typical sales people that work the floor probably aren't going to try and haggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Saleen781 View Post
                I have purchsed several guns from Cabelas over the past 2 years. What I learned is that if you go to Kurt Junker in the gun library, he is usually willing to make a deal and he's a pretty cool guy on top of that. He's hooked me up 2 times on used Glocks. He is the big boss over the gun department.
                I'm assuming you're talking about the Ft. Worth location. I will see if I can figure out the name of the guy I dealt with in Allen so others that might go there can ask for him.

Comment

I am also talking about the "library". Specifically a Colt SAA that I wanted in 44-40 to match a .45LC I have. 100 dollars off of a 2k gun is not too much to ask is it? I was put off by their refusal to deal at all on the piece.

Oh well,
                  Randy

Yes 170 and 35.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                    I am also talking about the "library". Specifically a Colt SAA that I wanted in 44-40 to match a .45LC I have. 100 dollars off of a 2k gun is not too much to ask is it? I was put off by their refusal to deal at all on the piece.

Oh well,
                    Randy

Yes 170 and 35.
                    That does sound ridiculous if they wouldn't take $100 off a $2k gun (5% off). They dropped a $600 gun to $500 and a $999 gun to $920 without me even making an offer; that was just after I asked them what they could do on the prices initially. They dropped the prices a little more when I countered with even lower offers. They basically ended up at 20% off the gun I ended up purchasing and 10% off on the other that I decided was still too high.

Comment

You know cabelas WILL price match guns from other local dealers.

Ive done it on new guns there

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                        That does sound ridiculous if they wouldn't take $100 off a $2k gun (5% off). They dropped a $600 gun to $500 and a $999 gun to $920 without me even making an offer; that was just after I asked them what they could do on the prices initially. They dropped the prices a little more when I countered with even lower offers. They basically ended up at 20% off the gun I ended up purchasing and 10% off on the other that I decided was still too high.
                        Yeah, in Allen they came down 200 on an 1100 dollar gun. Can't remember the guy's name - he was a big dude though.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                        X