texas considering 'sound suppressors' on hunting rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
    Silencers aren't that expensive right now. Hell the Fed Tax is like 50% of the cost of them now.

Have you priced any Surefire cans? They are close to $2000 + the paper work. If they were not heavily regulated the same can would cost about $500.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
      Have you priced any Surefire cans? They are close to $2000 + the paper work. If they were not heavily regulated the same can would cost about $500.
      I can find can's that aren't that expensive, I can find cans that are OUTRAGEOUS.

Same thing goes with a Car, A KIA is cheap, while a Mercedes is outrageous.

Comment

Theres no restrictions on cans limiting the amount to be manufactured and sold. Removing them from the nfa, theyll still be manufactured and still cost the same. Prices wont change a bit as theyre not price based off of rarity and lack of supply like machine guns. Same is said for sbrs, dds, aows.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          Theres no restrictions on cans limiting the amount to be manufactured and sold. Removing them from the nfa, theyll still be manufactured and still cost the same. Prices wont change a bit as theyre not price based off of rarity and lack of supply like machine guns. Same is said for sbrs, dds, aows.
          If anything they would go up in value. Many manufacturers discount based on the knowledge their price point includes a mandatory $200 fee.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
            If anything they would go up in value. Many manufacturers discount based on the knowledge their price point includes a mandatory $200 fee.
            Well I am just going by what Dr. John Matthews the founder and CEO of Surefire says. What does he know about his business and industry segment anyway?

Exactly how much do you think a sort of glass pack muffler should/would cost even if it is made out of the best materials that can be had if they were not regulated and such a headache to keep in regulatory compliance that only a few companies are willing to manufacture them? I know from first hand experience that they can be bought for as little a $60 US in Europe.
            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 03-17-2012, 09:30 AM.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Well I am just going by what Dr. John Matthews the founder and CEO of Surefire says. What does he know about his business and industry segment anyway?

Exactly how much do you think a sort of glass pack muffler should/would cost even if it is made out of the best materials that can be had if they were not regulated and such a headache to keep in regulatory compliance that only a few companies are willing to manufacture them? I know from first hand experience that they can be bought for as little a $60 US in Europe.
              Wow, get a little butt hurt there buddy? If I'm not mistaken, many places in Europe make suppressors mandatory and subsidized.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If it means I stop by a sporting goods store, and leave with a suppressor right then and there, i'm all for it.
                IMG_0424

Comment

Not from what I can tell the actual per unit cost starts around 150 and works its way up based on design and material costs because of the low production numbers. This is evidenced by the amount of $200-300 suppressors on the market. So with the $200 tax and 3-6 month wait there is a throttle that limits the demand. Removing the the throttle would allow the product to have a higher demand and the market would respond with a larger supply.

Comment

It would be awesome if i could walk into a store buy one and walk out. I'd actually buy one. I know i can get one now, but dont feel like filling out all the bs to get one.

Ear plugs are cheaper, and i dont need a suppressor, I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                      Not from what I can tell the actual per unit cost starts around 150 and works its way up based on design and material costs because of the low production numbers. This is evidenced by the amount of $200-300 suppressors on the market. So with the $200 tax and 3-6 month wait there is a throttle that limits the demand. Removing the the throttle would allow the product to have a higher demand and the market would respond with a larger supply.
                      The demand is already there. Most manufacturers cant even keep up with it. Wait or no wait.

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                        If it means I stop by a sporting goods store, and leave with a suppressor right then and there, i'm all for it.
                        That's not what it means at all. NFA rules still apply. This would just legalize it for hunting in texas

Sent from my iPhone
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                          Unit cost can very greatly. You can't make a titanium inconel suppressor for $150.

Comment

Wow, get a little butt hurt there buddy? If I'm not mistaken, many places in Europe make suppressors mandatory and subsidized.
                            Not butt hurt at all. No caffeine since I quite a few weeks ago and not being able to convey tone in writing is all.

The cheapish Euro suppressors are plastic and good for less then 100 shots. You will find them piled up in trash cans at the range after a match. Suppressors are mandatory in certain circumstances but only the Swiss subsidize anything gun related over there.

Comment

Why not just use hearing protection while hunting? BAM problem solved.
                              2012 Competition Orange BOSS 302
                              www.militarystangs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangfreak View Post
                                Why not just use hearing protection while hunting? BAM problem solved.
                                You are not a hunter are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X