Barrel Length and bolt carrier Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Length and bolt carrier Question

I see that 16inch is minimum barrel length. YHM has a 14.5 with a pinned flash hider. Is the 14.5 legal in Texas, and if it is do you think I will get shit for it's length at the range?

The 6.8 stuff has peaked my intrest. Is it possible to take apart a 5.56 bolt carrier and just replace the bolt instead of buying a 250.00 6.8 bolt carrier assembled?
    I am reading that it is possible, but just want to know if it might blow up in my face.

Is it 14.5" with or without the flash suppressor?

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

The barrel and permanently attached muzzle device must have an overall length of at least 16".

Comment

Just like what Pete said, as long as the PINNED flash hider is 1.5" bringing the over all length to 16", you are fine.

If these are them you are fine - http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=399

Originally posted by YHM.com
        These barrels feature permanently attached muzzle accessories that bring the overall length of the barrel to a legal 16".

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
          Just like what Pete said, as long as the PINNED flash hider is 1.5" bringing the over all length to 16", you are fine.

If these are them you are fine - http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=399
          Yup thats the one I have been looking at.

That lack of an extra 1.5 inch won't severly affect the muzzle velocity will it?

Comment

From tests I've seen with .223 you lose about 100 fps going from 16" to 14.5".
            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

WRONG.

It has to be pinned and soldered or its a SBR

Comment

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
                WRONG.

That should have been obvious....

Comment

WRONG.

These barrels feature permanently attached muzzle accessories that bring the overall length of the barrel to a legal 16".
                  Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

WRONG.

I'm pretty sure it just has to be "permanent" and pinned is pretty permanent. Many rifles are imported being pinned, no solder - many of CAI's guns are. I know a lot of people say it must be soldered - but I don't believe I've seen that in writing from the BATFE. I'm always a little suspicious of some of the restrictions I read because many people just repeat what they've been told. Not to say I'm right here, I'm not sure honestly.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It has to be blind pinned and welded. I.E. the pin has to have a tac weld placed over it, or silver soldered (no pin) which is harder to do. I have a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned Phantom flash hider and wouldn't have it any other way unless I went to a dissipator type upper or a regular 20 inch upper.

As for the range issue. Our guys qualify at 500 yards/meters with 14.5 inch barreled M4 carbines with no issues. Iron sigts or RCOs. You do loose some velocity and effectiveness at range but for the increased maneuverability and decrease in weight IMO it's worth it.
                      2004 Suzuki DL650
                      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        Many rifles are imported being pinned, no solder - many of CAI's guns are. I know a lot of people say it must be soldered - but I don't believe I've seen that in writing from the BATFE.
                        Chapter 2 Page 5 of the ATF NFA handbook

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
                        the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
                        attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
                        soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
                        into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
                        furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
                        measured.

Comment

Chapter 2 Page 5 of the ATF NFA handbook
                          ah, there you go! I don't have any 14.5" barrels but that makes sense. The pinned only muzzle brakes are usually on 16 or greater barrels, that's explains it. Maybe we can have hrt4me explain it in further detail.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                            Maybe we can have hrt4me explain it in further detail.
                            Is hrt4me an expert on ATF laws?
                            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Just got off the phone with YHM, the flash hider is pinned and welded permanent.
                              On that barrel atleast.

Comment

Working...
                              X