Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how short a barrel to keep .22LR subsonic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how short a barrel to keep .22LR subsonic?

Anyone familiar with what length you have to cut down a ruger MKII barrel to keep the cheap shit subsonic. 4"?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Would it not be the other way? The longer the barrel the velocity "picks up"? I have actually heard on shorter barrels you do not even need to run sub ammo to acheive ~1000fps

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
      Would it not be the other way? The longer the barrel the velocity "picks up"? I have actually heard on shorter barrels you do not even need to run sub ammo to acheive ~1000fps
      I want to keep the cheap supersonic ammo subsonic, so I need to cut my barrel down to do it. I'm wondering what barrel length i need to keep my velocity at 1130fps or lower.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

cool idea

Comment

not sure if this is helpful or not

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
            not sure if this is helpful or not

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
            excellent info. Look like 4" is the number. At 5" everything goes transonic, and 6" it's all supersonic. Just goes to show how an inch can save you a bunch of money.

Comment

Are you cutting down your own barrels or buying a new one?
              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                Are you cutting down your own barrels or buying a new one?
                Cutting down and threading.

Comment

Would you mind making a vid/taking pics of that process? I've been quite interested in the basic gun modification process in general.
                  There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

By cheap ammo I assume you do not mean the Colibri-Super Colibri. ammo? 375-500 feet per second.

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Would you mind making a vid/taking pics of that process? I've been quite interested in the basic gun modification process in general.
                      Cutting down a barrel and then re-crowning or threading is no basic modification.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        cutting down a barrel and then re-crowning or threading is no basic modification.
                        great!

Comment

great!
                          unless you have a metal lathe I don't think pictures are going to be of much help.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                            unless you have a metal lathe I don't think pictures are going to be of much help.
                            Threading can be even more important if a factory tube is being used, it's not too uncommon to come across a bore that's not eccentric to the outer diameter of the barrel.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                              Threading can be even more important if a factory tube is being used, it's not too uncommon to come across a bore that's not eccentric to the outer diameter of the barrel.
                              That's why it's important you chuck to the bore and not the OD.

Comment

Working...
                              X