Pepper spray against a dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
    Not a fan of pepper spray unless its a a fogger type that doesnt require much accuracy.

If youve been charged by a dog, it happens fast and you may not be able to get it on target.

Plus, if irs going after your dog, grats, you maced your dogbas well (and likely yourself)

From personal experiance, get a stun baton..

Dog attacking yours? Stab and click. No matter how pissed that dog is, electricity will take itbdown or scare it off. Even the crackle of it will scare the shit out of most dogs before it even gets to that point. With 12-18 in of distance you dont even have to get that close either
    How legal is it walking around the neighborhood carrying one of these?

Comment

OK! Personal experiance time! I think Ive shared this before but here we go.

2 years ago I was on an alarm call. Entered the back yard to check the doors and windows for tampering and to make sure its locked. Ive learned to take my spray out just in case. After being greeted by two friendly lap dogs, I reholstered my OC. As I continued around the house (HUGE house btw), I was met by a big brown nasty of a dog later learned to be called "Boss". As I scurried for the gate, That damn thing latched down and tore my pant leg (no skin). I turned around and kicked the crap out of that dog as I tried to open the gate. As I exited the gate, Boss bit down and got skin. Back side of my thigh. Hurt like hell (fun ER trip insued). By then I had my spray out again and hosed his face. The dog just shook it off and gave me a "your dead blue boy" look. He again attacked like I had just hosed him with a water bottle. I then sprayed my can until it was empty. By then, the dog finally reacted to it and ran away wimpering.

Basically, It has mixed results in my book. That crap hurts like fire, I know from experiance... I was quite amazed that my OC didnt get him the first time. Just thought Id share. Stuff works, but its all up to the dog and how much fight he has in him apparently.

Comment

Zaplite. It's a small stun gun you carry and it also has an LED light as a flashlight. It is rechargable and has 1 mil volts. Just bought one for my wife to carry around the neighborhood for dogs....it was $60 at cabelas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post

2 years ago I was on an alarm call. Entered the back yard to check the doors and windows for tampering and to make sure its locked. Ive learned to take my spray out just in case. After being greeted by two friendly lap dogs, I reholstered my OC. As I continued around the house (HUGE house btw), I was met by a big brown nasty of a dog later learned to be called "Boss". As I scurried for the gate, That damn thing latched down and tore my pant leg (no skin). I turned around and kicked the crap out of that dog as I tried to open the gate. As I exited the gate, Boss bit down and got skin. Back side of my thigh. Hurt like hell (fun ER trip insued). By then I had my spray out again and hosed his face. The dog just shook it off and gave me a "your dead blue boy" look. He again attacked like I had just hosed him with a water bottle. I then sprayed my can until it was empty. By then, the dog finally reacted to it and ran away wimpering.

Basically, It has mixed results in my book. That crap hurts like fire, I know from experiance... I was quite amazed that my OC didnt get him the first time. Just thought Id share. Stuff works, but its all up to the dog and how much fight he has in him apparently.
          Maybe the dog was all drugged up???

Thanks for the info guys. Don't think the Cold Steel whip would be a good idea for her (or me) and a stun baton may not be either. I'm going to go with the spray rather than the foam but I guess I need to start looking at specific devices and find something easy for her to use.

Comment

get OC spray not mace. LEO use OC now. Mace is the older weaker stuff.

Comment

get OC spray not mace. LEO use OC now. Mace is the older weaker stuff.
              Mace is just a brand name, and all their stuff has OC in it. OC is the active ingredient in all pepper sprays. The Mace I bought for the lady has tear gas and UV dye in it as well.
              IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                As effective as those are, are you going to bet that she could effectively wield it while Cujo is trying to make a snack out of FiFi?

Pepper spray is the way to go.
                Exactly Adam.

Pepper spray is a distance weapon. You don't want to have to get close enough to make physical contact.

This is a prime opportunity to drop this here:

Comment

If someone or something has decided that they are going to kill you, pepper spray isn't going to send them home. It will however give someone/something who is considering doing you harm a very good reason to go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                    Mace is just a brand name, and all their stuff has OC in it. OC is the active ingredient in all pepper sprays. The Mace I bought for the lady has tear gas and UV dye in it as well.
                    Right, Oleresin Capsicum or some crap like that. Man, I was always told or thoght that the two were different; that mace was a weaker pepper extract vs OC's habenero (or whatever hot chili it is) pepper.

Comment

Working...
                    X