Looking at a new bolt action - need recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a new bolt action - need recommendation

My brother is buying my Remington 700 SPS from me (never really liked that rifle, but that's another issue) and I want to replace it with a higher quality bolt action.

What does everyone recommend? Leaning more toward .308 Win, but will consider any other calibers within reason.

Price range - under $750, but will consider up to $1k for the right rifle.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Winchester M70 but that's probably gonna be close to the upper end of your price range.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

This is the only scenario in which I would recommend a Kimber.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        Really? I think Kimber bolts suck. The wood is horrible and the accuracy is hit or miss....

I would look at the T/C Icon - I would also check them out in 30TC or the 6.5 Creedmore

Comment

Sako A7 is hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
            Really? I think Kimber bolts suck. The wood is horrible and the accuracy is hit or miss....

I would look at the T/C Icon - I would also check them out in 30TC or the 6.5 Creedmore
            I have a 8400 in 300wsm and it works great and looks great. The action is smooth too, much better than most rifles with a claw extractor. It also has a number of features I find desirable in a hunting rifle, such as a claw extractor, a 3 position safety, a way to remove the bolt without pulling the trigger, and a floor plate hinge button inside the trigger guard.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Accuracy International .338
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                Accuracy International .338
                I have $1000, let's go buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                  I have $1000, let's go buy one.
                  No problem. I know a guy.

he doesn't know me.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                    No problem. I know a guy.

he doesn't know me.
                    Score!

Comment

I forgot about Kimber...

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post

I like the T/C bolt actions, however, I don't like that they are only in a 3+1 configuration.

And I want to stay away from "boutique" rounds. I want to be able to buy ammo off the shelf until I can finally roll my own.
                      كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                      Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                      Originally posted by Trick Pony
                      ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I have a 8400 in 300wsm and it works great and looks great. The action is smooth too, much better than most rifles with a claw extractor. It also has a number of features I find desirable in a hunting rifle, such as a claw extractor, a 3 position safety, a way to remove the bolt without pulling the trigger, and a floor plate hinge button inside the trigger guard.
                        You just described a FN built Winchester M70.

Comment

Also might want to look into Tikka's as well, they probably have one of the smoothest factory actions , I personally just don't like that they are long actoin only and I'm not real fond of their DBM setup.

Comment

You could get a Savage in 7mm-08 and roll the extra dough into your scope purchase.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem. Mag.

Comment

Working...
                              X