Looking to buy a piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a piston

So I am looking to buy a pistol as my first gun. I have fired a few but mostly shotguns or rifles only. I went to the gunshow last week to look at some and see what I like and what feels good in my hand. I really liked the 1911s, sig 223(I think that was it) and some of the glocks. What I would like to do is go to a gun range and see if I can rent some of these to try them and see what I like maybe what caliber would be best and maybe just learn some general safety stuff so I don't shoot myself, lol.

So do gun ranges rent these types of guns, if so what would be a good range to go to, I'm in Irving but anywhere would be ok as long as they rent what I want. Also does anybody have an recomendations on what would be a nice gun to start off for a gun noob? Also a general idea on what I should expect to pay for a good gun would be nice too.

Thanks guys
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Are you wanting something to plink with? Home defense?

Hard to beat one of the following in 9mm
    new prices
    gen 3 glock $450-500 range
    m&p - 435-450
    xd - ~400-415

DFW Gun is probably closest to you. Elm Fork only rents Berettas from what I remember

Comment

Alan, I'd stay away from a 1911 as your first pistol. They can be a little maintenance intensive.

I'd start with either a Glock, or a Springfield XD if I was you. Very good quality weapons, decent price point, and they're hard to fuck up.
      Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Only place I know that rents guns is Bullet Trap in Allen. I am sure there are other but that is all I know as of right now.

If you want to shoot a Glock or a 1911 We can set up a shooting trip. Hell I might even know somebody that has an XD for you to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Chvyblzr1972 View Post
          Only place I know that rents guns is Bullet Trap in Allen. I am sure there are other but that is all I know as of right now.

If you want to shoot a Glock or a 1911 We can set up a shooting trip. Hell I might even know somebody that has an XD for you to try.
          Red River up here in Sherman rents guns. And I'd be more than happy to let you shoot anything I've got.

Comment

Bullet Trap has a large selection of rentals but you might check out the prices. I think you also have to use their ammo in rentals. You might try meeting up with someone or maybe making it to a range GTG.

Comment

I have a few buddies who are going to go to the range here in the next few weeks and I'm going to tag along and shoot a few of theirs to see if that helps my decision. It's really going to be used mostly for home defense but I would like to take it to the range every now and then to make sure I hit where I aim. What do you guys think on caliber? 9MM .40 .45 ?
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                I have a few buddies who are going to go to the range here in the next few weeks and I'm going to tag along and shoot a few of theirs to see if that helps my decision. It's really going to be used mostly for home defense but I would like to take it to the range every now and then to make sure I hit where I aim. What do you guys think on caliber? 9MM .40 .45 ?
                I'm a big fan of .45acp, but 9mm and .40S&W are great calibers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                  Are you wanting something to plink with? Home defense?

Hard to beat one of the following in 9mm
                  new prices
                  gen 3 glock $450-500 range
                  m&p - 435-450
                  xd - ~400-415

DFW Gun is probably closest to you. Elm Fork only rents Berettas from what I remember
                  I looked that glock up online and I think that is the one I liked, I'm thinking my friend has one of those so I'll probably try that out. The XD looks tiny and I've got big hands, I think I held a few of those at the show and my fingers didn't fit that one. Thanks for the input guys, gotta get ready in case SHTF in december, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                    Red River up here in Sherman rents guns. And I'd be more than happy to let you shoot anything I've got.
                    Thanks for the offer Matt, Sherman is abit of a drive for me but I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Not really Allen, Meet up with me and I will grab some of my guns. I have the big hands too so I have larger frame pistols. We can roll together and go shoot with Matt. It isn't that bad of a drive I do it all the time.

Comment

I looked that glock up online and I think that is the one I liked, I'm thinking my friend has one of those so I'll probably try that out. The XD looks tiny and I've got big hands, I think I held a few of those at the show and my fingers didn't fit that one. Thanks for the input guys, gotta get ready in case SHTF in december, lol.
                        Xd and a glock are almost identical size in the same comparible model
                        07 f250-family truckster
                        08 Denali -baby hauler
                        52 f1-rust bucket
                        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by Chvyblzr1972 View Post
                          Not really Allen, Meet up with me and I will grab some of my guns. I have the big hands too so I have larger frame pistols. We can roll together and go shoot with Matt. It isn't that bad of a drive I do it all the time.
                          That sounds like it might be fun, it would be nice to meet you guys too. I'm going to meet up with a few other friends hopefully this weekend and try out some of the stuff they've got too.

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                          Xd and a glock are almost identical size in the same comparible model
                          They may be then I just thought they looked small in the pics on google, I am pretty clueless when it comes to guns. Hoping to become more involved with them.

Comment

That sounds like it might be fun, it would be nice to meet you guys too. I'm going to meet up with a few other friends hopefully this weekend and try out some of the stuff they've got too.

They may be then I just thought they looked small in the pics on google, I am pretty clueless when it comes to guns. Hoping to become more involved with them.
                            Big hands huh?? Go with a S&W .460....will take care of any situation you may come across...
                            Originally posted by Sean88gt
                            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

There are different models of XD's, just like there are different models of Glocks. You may have been handling a subcompact XD, which are pretty damn tiny.

Comment

Working...
                              X