Crowning help please :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowning help please :(

That new S&W 686 I bought looks like it has a defective crown..Can anyone help me recrown it? I've watched a few youtube videos but I think some of you guys have done it before.

It's not completely rounded..Kind of hexigonal on one side. I'd hate to send it in and have it gone for who knows how long..

Thanks!
    sigpic
    Tags:

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
    That new S&W 686 I bought looks like it has a defective crown..Can anyone help me recrown it? I've watched a few youtube videos but I think some of you guys have done it before.

It's not completely rounded..Kind of hexigonal on one side. I'd hate to send it in and have it gone for who knows how long..

Thanks!
    Does it not have a warranty on it? I mean it would suck to have it gone for a while, but I know lots of manufacturers like to void warranties for whatever they can dream up and this seems like a perfect example. Just my .02, I'm sure if I was in your shoes and had that badass revolver I'd wanna hang on to it as well!

Comment

I called and they said it "shouldn't" make a difference and to go shoot it first..

Does this look bad?

sigpic

Comment

*I* Would send it back to the manufacturer to have them fix it. Generally they'll have you ship it out to them on their dime. You'll probably get it back within two weeks.

TRUST ME, you'd rather have the factory do it over someone here that thinks they can do it. If your buddy messes up, you'll need the barrel cut, and recrowned. If the Factory messes up, they put on a new barrel.

Also while its at the factory, they actually take apart the gun and check everything. If theres something not quite right, they replace it.

I've had to send guns back before and it sucks, but I'm happy that I did. Really, are you going to need it in two weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
          Really, are you going to need it in two weeks?
          No, I dont REALLY need it.. I just hate sending things in right away after I get them. It's a good idea though.. I just wanted some words from people here just in case that barrel is OK and I'm just worring too much about it. I didn't spend 700 bucks on a 6" revolver for it not to be accurate..
          sigpic

Comment

Dude, send it in as soon as possible. The earlier in a warranty you can get something looked at, the better.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Honestly that doesn't look that bad, but the picture quality isn't very good so I can't really tell you.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                No, I dont REALLY need it.. I just hate sending things in right away after I get them. It's a good idea though.. I just wanted some words from people here just in case that barrel is OK and I'm just worring too much about it. I didn't spend 700 bucks on a 6" revolver for it not to be accurate..
                Call them up and get them to fix it. If you ask nicely they may even give you a perk. (like a lightened up trigger or better sights)

Comment

That looks about like a new s&w wheel gun crown.

Comment

well I called twice..Booth customer service reps said that it's ok but if it does happen to effect accuracy to send it back. So I'm going to shoot it saturday at elm fork and see how it does.
                    Thanks for the replies!
                    sigpic

Comment

Took it out to elm fork and did some shooting with my girl. Gun shot great at 50 yards while shooting from a rest. I'm thinking it's the best shooting handgun I have as long as I shoot single action. Still working on double action accuracy. I'm glad I was worried for nothing. Thanks for the replies!
                      sigpic

Comment

If you want to do it yourself it's really easy. Take a ball bearing bigger than the bore diameter and weld it to a piece of steel rod for a handle. Take some valve grinding compound and put it on the ball bearing, spin the ball bearing by hand at the end of the bore until you have the desired crown.
                        2011 Red Candy Metallic Mustang GT/CS
                        99 Trans Am
                        69 Camaro SS 350/350

Comment

Working...
                        X