Best round for 1,500 yard shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best round for 1,500 yard shots

I am looking at setting up a gun for long range shots and I would like to do it right the first time. I currently have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical chambered in .308, but I think 1,500 yards is just outside of what the .308 is comfortable doing. I don't plan on hunting with the rifle, only hitting steel targets. Any recommendations? Can the .308 do it or do I need to upgrade to the .300 Win Mag or .338 LM? Any other options?

I hope you reload, extra long range can get expensive fast. That being said there are several calibers out there capable of this 338 Edge and Lapua are 2 common choices as well as the big 50BMG, you also have even more wildcats such as the 375 Cheytac and its big brother the 408 Cheytac. That being said a 300 win mag or ultra mag loaded with 225 Hornady Amax will run right along with the 338's. A big need in long range shooting and even more is optics if you go cheap on optics you'll just be waisting your time.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to stay in .30 cal so that when I get a suppressor I can use it on both of my rifles, so I am leaning toward the .300 Win Mag. The .338 LM is my next choice and I would prefer to stay away from any of the 'exotic' ones like the

I will be reloading soon, but I have not started yet.

I am going to buy optics first and put it on my current rifle, then upgrade the rifle later (most likely the GA Precision Crusader). I am waiting for more information from the SHOT show going on now, but right now I am looking at these two:

5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP

SN-3 5-25x T-PAL

Both are FFP. I hope that Night Force has some new FFP optics at the SHOT show or at least information on what they have planned to come out (if anything). I am open to any recommendations in this department as well. I have been trying to do a lot of reading on Sniper's Hide and a few other forums.

Comment

i heart 338 lapua.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

The GAP would be an excellant choice, you'll be fine with the .308 diameter projectiles just make sure which ever suppressor you get it's capable of handeling magnum pressue's.

FFP isn't needed unless you're shooting unknown distances and ranging is needed. I have a NF and love it I don't range with the reticle the reason I have a rangefinder.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
            i heart 338 lapua.
            agreed. Also, it will cost you about 5/6 bucks a shot.
            Photobucket

Comment

I shot a 7mmSTW but a .338 Lapua is in my future.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

You could do it with a 7mm SAUM. There are guys shooting the 180 Bergers out of a long action all the way out to 1800 yards. That might be a route to think about. Hopefully in the near future I will aquire a .300 Ultra Mag, shoot it 'til the barrel gets tired and then rechamber it for the .338 Edge. The .338 Edge is just a .300 Ultra Mag case necked up to a .338. It is very close, case capacity wise, to the .338 Lapua. Just things to think about...

Comment

Originally posted by Vanner27 View Post
                  You could do it with a 7mm SAUM. There are guys shooting the 180 Bergers out of a long action all the way out to 1800 yards. That might be a route to think about. Hopefully in the near future I will aquire a .300 Ultra Mag, shoot it 'til the barrel gets tired and then rechamber it for the .338 Edge. The .338 Edge is just a .300 Ultra Mag case necked up to a .338. It is very close, case capacity wise, to the .338 Lapua. Just things to think about...
                  What about the magical .308 bouncing rounds you shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                    ...unless you reload. If you can afford a rig for this kind of shooting, you can afford a single stage and some carbide dies.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      What about the magical .308 bouncing rounds you shoot?
                      That was really dumb. That's what you get when you have 8 experts around, including Ed, telling you what to do and how bad your dope is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanner27 View Post
                        That was really dumb. That's what you get when you have 8 experts around, including Ed, telling you what to do and how bad your dope is off.
                        LMFAO, wish I could have been there for that one.

/hijack

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                          I know it is expensive, but is that $5/6 a shot the cost if I reload? I haven't looked at the cost of each round if I reload.

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          The GAP would be an excellant choice, you'll be fine with the .308 diameter projectiles just make sure which ever suppressor you get it's capable of handeling magnum pressue's.

FFP isn't needed unless you're shooting unknown distances and ranging is needed. I have a NF and love it I don't range with the reticle the reason I have a rangefinder.
                          Good point on the FFP vs range finder. Which range finder do you use? I have looked into a few (Leica CRF1600 mainly). I don't know if shooting competitions with UKD targets allow range finders or if you are required to range with the scope. I haven't shot in any competitions yet, but I think it is something I would enjoy. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

When talking .338 and up, you are getting expensive either way, but you're also taking less shots. I'm with you, though; anything passed 800m means putting my .308 away. Might as well nut up and grab a .50bmg at that point. Once you start pegging off serious distance, you'll want to venture further. Might as well just get it over with and get it.

Comment

6.5mm rounds need to get more popular.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X