Out of state NFA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state NFA question

Somewhat of a specific question for my case. I am still a TX resident (TX DL, permanent address in TX, etc) but I am stationed in FL. I can get around the whole state resident thing for firearm purchase with my mil ID and a copy of my orders. But I have been looking into getting a suppressor for my AR and 10/22 and I'm under the impression you can't buy NFA items out of state regardless of mil orders. How would one go about purchasing a can when you aren't living in your state of residence?

Order it through a Texas SOT, then go home and pick it up, and check it on the flight back.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
      Somewhat of a specific question for my case. I am still a TX resident (TX DL, permanent address in TX, etc) but I am stationed in FL. I can get around the whole state resident thing for firearm purchase with my mil ID and a copy of my orders. But I have been looking into getting a suppressor for my AR and 10/22 and I'm under the impression you can't buy NFA items out of state regardless of mil orders. How would one go about purchasing a can when you aren't living in your state of residence?
      I just spoke with the gentleman who holds the license at this business:
      Class 3 Weapons, Rock River Arms, NFA Firearm Engraving, Laser Engraving, Cerakote Services, Suppressors, Short Barreled Rifles, Transfers, Houston, Texas

He said that you can purchase it from a dealer in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
        Order it through a Texas SOT, then go home and pick it up, and check it on the flight back.
        I believe you would do all your paperwork based on your permanent address, and send it out from your TX address. However, I suggest you do your homework on transporting it to your temporary address for a long amount of time. A suppressor does not require a 5320.20 to be filed for interstate transportation, but any SBR would, so keep that in mind.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Your best bet would be to speak with a dealer in Florida and get the details hammered out.

Comment

Buy on permanent Texas address and when the trasnfer is done pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              I believe you would do all your paperwork based on your permanent address, and send it out from your TX address. However, I suggest you do your homework on transporting it to your temporary address for a long amount of time. A suppressor does not require a 5320.20 to be filed for interstate transportation, but any SBR would, so keep that in mind.
              Interesting. I was looking at building either a 300BLK or 6.8SPC SBR. I'll have to look into how that is affected by living here

Comment

Interesting. I was looking at building either a 300BLK or 6.8SPC SBR. I'll have to look into how that is affected by living here
                Youll just build it on a form 1 on your permanent Texas address, when it transfers you file a 5320.20 to take it to Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  Youll just build it on a form 1 on your permanent Texas address, when it transfers you file a 5320.20 to take it to Florida.
                  So when I "take" it to Florida, since I'll be building it here that would be immediately... so just file the 5320.20 right right away?

Comment

So when I "take" it to Florida, since I'll be building it here that would be immediately... so just file the 5320.20 right right away?
                    A 5320.20 needs to be approved not just filed before you transport. Once you get your Form 1 approved and your lower engraved you can transport it without a sub 16" upper also being transported just like any Title I firearm. Once the Form 1 is approved you can submit your 5320.20. Once it's approved and you have it in your possession you can order/ask a trusted friend to mail your sub 16" upper to you.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                    X