Academy charges for boresighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy charges for boresighting

Just a heads up, they started charging as of new years day. They used to boresight anything for free but now its only with the purchase of a mount, rings or scope. Otherwise its $15.

I always thought it was nice to have the free option, but never utilized it.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I've never boresighted.

I always center a plate looking down the bore.

My first shot is always on paper at 25 yards. I adjust and move back to 100.

Usually dead on with 3-6 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        I've never boresighted.

This.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          I've never boresighted.

Good technique for most places/ranges. Range I go to is pretty crowded and the 100 yard lanes are fixed at 100 yards. They don't do 25yd, only 50, 100 and 200. And if I got a 50 yd lane I'd then have to wait 30 min until the range went cold to change targets and then wait in line for a 100yd lane. Its not the ideal setup but there aren't many ranges down here.

Like I said, just a heads up so nobody is caught off guard if you take your rifle in for boresighting.

Comment

You can zero a gun in with 1 shot fired if you have a rigid shooting stand. Pull your bolt out, look down the barrel and get it on paper. Then, lock in your rifle at a specific point (such as dead center) and fire. Then, place your reticle back on the point of aim, and adjust your cross hair to be on the point of impact - perfectly zero'd with one shot.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              You can zero a gun in with 1 shot fired if you have a rigid shooting stand. Pull your bolt out, look down the barrel and get it on paper. Then, lock in your rifle at a specific point (such as dead center) and fire. Then, place your reticle back on the point of aim, and adjust your cross hair to be on the point of impact - perfectly zero'd with one shot.
              Another good option. I'll invest in one of those someday. Right now I just have sandbags

Comment

Best trick in the book!

Oh, and academy does it for free if you buy the rings or sight. Bad part is that they usually don't know how to properly install rings. They think the tighter the better. Idiots...
                Photobucket

Comment

As for lasers muzzle/bore mounts are better then chamber lasers.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

if the range doesn't have the combo 50/100 lanes , you can always just make the target bigger.
                    I boresighted my AR-10 and I couldn't get a 50 yrd lane to start at. So I took a 100 lane and just put 4 targets together, aim at the middle.
                    You really can't go wrong with this method.
                    After owning a boresighter though , I don't think you really need one. Starting close and working back is honestly just faster / easier if you have the option.
                    Last guy who said cabelas boresighted his rifle , couldn't get on paper and wasted his whole range trip. Next time we went out he was about 8" or more off at 50yards. He too got stuck with a 100 lane the first trip out.

Comment

my chamber one is BS. Not impressed one bit with using it. PITA to find hearing aid batteries too.
                      I humbly agree, there is no way the bore mounted ones can be any worse!

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                        my chamber one is BS. Not impressed one bit with using it. PITA to find hearing aid batteries too.
                        I humbly agree, there is no way the bore mounted ones can be any worse!
                        Interesting, I thought the chamber lasers would've been better than the muzzle lasers. Futant, what chamber bore sighter do you have? Can a bore sighter work with a Micro, or are they for magnified optics only?

Comment

Originally posted by bigmuskie View Post
                          Interesting, I thought the chamber lasers would've been better than the muzzle lasers. Futant, what chamber bore sighter do you have? Can a bore sighter work with a Micro, or are they for magnified optics only?
                          Nah, the reason being is chambers can be relative sizes. Some chambers are larger than others, some smaller, etc. Also, the bolt head and extractor vary considerably and can hold the laser in a different location every time it's chambered. A bore mounted muzzle laser slides down the barrel (which is an exact diameter on any weapon) which is the true determinant of the point of aim, a chamber is not a true determinant of the point of aim.

Comment

Nah, the reason being is chambers can be relative sizes. Some chambers are larger than others, some smaller, etc. Also, the bolt head and extractor vary considerably and can hold the laser in a different location every time it's chambered. A bore mounted muzzle laser slides down the barrel (which is an exact diameter on any weapon) which is the true determinant of the point of aim, a chamber is not a true determinant of the point of aim.
                            Awesome, you saved me some money and frustrations. CJ, what muzzle bore sighter would be best,or what would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by bigmuskie View Post
                              Awesome, you saved me some money and frustrations. CJ, what muzzle bore sighter would be best,or what would you recommend?

Looks like it's on sale right now as well. Just about any brand will do it, just check the reviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X