Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beretta Whitewing O/U

Not my actual gun in the picture....

I'm doing the bad mistake of asking about a gun after it is purchased. I found a Beretta O/U for a decent price and googled it. The google searches came back very positive but I wanted to see the opinions from people on this board. I was torn on just buying a 400-600 O/U (Yilidz (sp?), Savage...etc) or this one and ended up ponying up a little more for this one.

Besides opinions/known good/bad stuff, I also need this gun to be "pretty" between uses. What is recommended to clean the stock and polish the metal on it as well as keeping the external barrel looking good?

I figure it is a simple to use gun for the wife to shoot snakes/other varmint, skeet shoot and turkey hunt with. We won't keep it loaded, but will have it displayed (near where she'll likely need it) with shells somewhere the kids can't get to - but the wife can access quickly. It's not for home defense of intruders. Not that any of this really matters.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

I'm a huge fan of O/U's but I dont have any particular experiance with Beretta's O/U but it looks like a nice piece. What gauge is it? Did it include all the choke tubes.

I dont really clean my shotguns and different from any other firearm.

Enjoy it
    "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
    East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
    https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

It came with 2 chokes, no idea what they are exactly yet though. I need to dig into those. It's one of those deals where once I got it home, I set it down and started the honey do list. It is the 12ga variety.

Comment

polishing involves removing material, since the bluing it only .001" or less I wouldn't polish the metal at all. I recommend you use a kleen bore silicone reel cloth for your exterior. It keeps the metal protect, clean and uniform, and it also reduces finger prints. I love the things. They also make anodized and parked guns look good.

Find holsters, belts, accessories, and police supplies at CopsPlus. Your source for quality duty gear at competitive prices since 2002!

As for the stock, you can polish the lacquer with any automotive fine paint polish.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          polishing involves removing material, since the bluing it only .001" or less I wouldn't polish the metal at all. I recommend you use a kleen bore silicone reel cloth for your exterior. It keeps the metal protect, clean and uniform, and it also reduces finger prints. I love the things. They also make anodized and parked guns look good.

Find holsters, belts, accessories, and police supplies at CopsPlus. Your source for quality duty gear at competitive prices since 2002!

As for the stock, you can polish the lacquer with any automotive fine paint polish.
          Appreciate it CJ, ordered 5 of them to have around. Just to be clear though, the polish as in like Megs 110 would be fine? Just a thin coat on and off?

Edit: To clarify, I was going to polish the engravings and such since it is dulled a little. Will that cloth help with that as well, or use something like the 110? (or whatever it is called these days)

Edit2: 105 and 205. Got both bottles at the house, just could not remember.
          Last edited by ceyko; 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            Appreciate it CJ, ordered 5 of them to have around. Just to be clear though, the polish as in like Megs 110 would be fine? Just a thin coat on and off?

Edit: To clarify, I was going to polish the engravings and such since it is dulled a little. Will that cloth help with that as well, or use something like the 110? (or whatever it is called these days)
            110 is pretty rough. 105 as as harsh as polish gets, and 205 is one of their finest, so 110 would be pretty rough. I use 205 for lacquer final polish, but any final fine polish should work, 110 I believe is a cutting polish. Just keep it out of engravings and your checkering. You can get it out with a toothbrush, but it's a huge hassle worth avoiding. I would just mask it off. Same for any seams.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Okay and you're right. It's been about 2 years since I polished and you're correct the 105 is cutting and then 205 is a finer polish (much easier to work with). Thanks!

Comment

Just to put it on record, that Kleen Bore stuff is awesome. Am sick and behind on to-do list, only spent 5 minutes with it on my gun and it's 90% done on the outside. Can't wait to use them on my other rifles.

Comment

Working...
                X