Full auto legal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full auto legal question

Ok I know it's illegal to assemble a gun to go full auto with the proper paper work ect. My question is: is it illegal to use certain full auto parts if when assembled the still doesn't function in that manner?
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

You can use full auto parts in certain circumstances but it varies model to model. You also can't make your own full auto anymore. That ended in 86' with the passing of the FAOPA. There is no paper work that will allow you to build it.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The AR platform is specifically what I'm referring to.

So you can't use pre 86 ban carriers in new rifles either?
      07 f250-family truckster
      08 Denali -baby hauler
      52 f1-rust bucket
      05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
        The AR platform is specifically what I'm referring to.

So you can't use pre 86 ban carriers in new rifles either?
        Bolt carriers? Yeah, you can use new full auto BCG's, if that's your question.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

if the part is a regulated item it's illegal as it breaks the intent law. So if the part is within the same household it can be considered intent especially if your not an ffl

Comment

You can use any m16 part in an ar. Just putting the paets in wont make it go full auto. Youd have to mill out the receiver and drill for the sear pin hole. A lot if factory ARs come with full auto parts.
            Last edited by David; 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Ok I know it's illegal to assemble a gun to go full auto with the proper paper work ect. My question is: is it illegal to use certain full auto parts if when assembled the still doesn't function in that manner?
              You can use a full auto BCG. You cannot use a full auto hammer, trigger, or disconnector. Even though it isn't going to do anything, the ATF does consider those parts constituting the intent to construct. This is the reason all the guys that bought the M16A1 parts kits had to buy a new hammer parts kit.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                You can use a full auto BCG. You cannot use a full auto hammer, trigger, or disconnector. Even though it isn't going to do anything, the ATF does consider those parts constituting the intent to construct. This is the reason all the guys that bought the M16A1 parts kits had to buy a new hammer parts kit.
                Ok this was more the exacts of what I was wondering. Thanks guys
                07 f250-family truckster
                08 Denali -baby hauler
                52 f1-rust bucket
                05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  You can use any m16 part in an ar. Just putting the paets in wont make it go full auto. Youd have to mill out the receiver and drill for the sear pin hole. A lot if factory ARs come with full auto parts.
                  I knew everything fit I just wasn't sure what parts made the ATF get pissy with you
                  07 f250-family truckster
                  08 Denali -baby hauler
                  52 f1-rust bucket
                  05 Jeep tj. Buggy

Comment

I knew everything fit I just wasn't sure what parts made the ATF get pissy with you
                    Until you drill a hole in the side of your receiver, you dont have a machine gun. There is the whole constructive intent thing, but even the atf says in numerous letters that unless it makes it fire full auto there isnt an issue. Just putting in the hammer, disconnector, bcg, selector wont make it go full auto.

Comment

Until you drill a hole in the side of your receiver, you dont have a machine gun. There is the whole constructive intent thing, but even the atf says in numerous letters that unless it makes it fire full auto there isnt an issue. Just putting in the hammer, disconnector, bcg, selector wont make it go full auto.
                      technically even drilling a hole in the side of your receiver for the auto sear wouldn't allow your gun to fire automatic. You'd still have to mill out the receiver. But I promise you if an ATF agent saw you with a hole there, or a shelf milled - even though either wouldn't allow it to fire auto - would cause you a problem.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

technically even drilling a hole in the side of your receiver for the auto sear wouldn't allow your gun to fire automatic. You'd still have to mill out the receiver. But I promise you if an ATF agent saw you with a hole there, or a shelf milled - even though either wouldn't allow it to fire auto - would cause you a problem.
                        Atf already says you cant drill the hole, if you do youve made a machine gun. Thats the deciding factor.

As for mill work, I know for a fact theres factory lowers milled to m16 internal specs.

Comment

Atf already says you cant drill the hole, if you do youve made a machine gun. Thats the deciding factor.

As for mill work, I know for a fact theres factory lowers milled to m16 internal specs.
                          My point is your statement that unless it fires full auto it's a not a machine gun is not true. Drilling a hole doesn't make it fire full auto - but it's illegal. Those three auto parts have cause problems for people in the past. There is a thread about it on arfcom in the build section.

Comment

My point is your statement that unless it fires full auto it's a not a machine gun is not true. Drilling a hole doesn't make it fire full auto - but it's illegal. Those three auto parts have cause problems for people in the past. There is a thread about it on arfcom in the build section.
                            It is true, unless it goes full auto they really dont care. With a auto bcg, disconnector, hammer, selector your gun will not go full auto. You need the hole drilled for the sear pin and that's the breaking point and the atf knows that.

Ive read numerous build threads, done my own, and if someone is having their gun go full auto on anything without the sear installed, they either suck at what they're doing, need new.unworn parts, or doing it on purpose.

Comment

I know the new HK mr556 has an auto hammer for what that is worth.
                              Originally posted by lincolnboy
                              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Working...
                              X