AR-15 Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-15 Gurus

Well im pulling the trigger on a ar, its a custom ar using mostly dpms parts, basically building it just like the dpms mini sass, anyway its a a3 upper 20'' fluted bull barrel, standard length full floating quad rail, harris bipod, its a dpms lower magpul collapsible stock, either going with the magpul pistol grip or a magpul grip, were using a jp adjustable trigger. this is my first ar so im trying to build it how i think ill want it.

My question to you is, whats a good scope that has a mil dot reticle thats reasonably priced?
    Last edited by 98GTstang; 01-15-2012, 08:27 PM.

Originally posted by 98GTstang View Post
    Well im pulling the trigger on a ar, its a custom ar using mostly dpms parts, basically building it just like the dpms mini sass, anyway its a a3 upper 20'' fluted bull barrel, standard length full floating quad rail, harris bipod, its a dpms lower magpul collapsible stock, either going with the magpul pistol grip or a magpul grip, were using a jp adjustable trigger. this is my first ar so im trying to build it how i think ill want it.

My question to you is, whats a good scope that has a mil dot reticle thats reasonably priced and accurate?
    First, please take the apostrophe out of your topic line, unless you intended to make the guru possessive.

Second, scopes are not "accurate".

Third, Nikon makes a good scope for a decent price:

Comment

My carved in stone rule has always been that the glass on the rifle has to cost the same or more then the rifle that it is mounted on. Recently I found some glass that has allowed me to break that rule. The Trijicon AccuPoint scopes are fantastic glass for the money. Just spent the day mounting them to 2 rifles and they are a better scope then the Leupold VX-3s that they are replacing.

I have a used Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40 that I would lend you to try out for awhile.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Im looking for a scope that has a mildot reticle as I wanna learn to use mildots, I just don't know whether to go fixed power or variable power, I'd like to get good at 300+ yds, with that being said I've been seeing alot about swfa ss scopes does anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Comment

I've heard a lot of good things about vortech scopes.

I have the red dot for a few years no issues.

Comment

for scopes, ck out
            SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

Im looking for a scope that has a mildot reticle as I wanna learn to use mildots, I just don't know whether to go fixed power or variable power, I'd like to get good at 300+ yds, with that being said I've been seeing alot about swfa ss scopes does anyone have any first hand experience with them?
              For 300 to 600 yards you don't really need a scope if you are sticking with 5.56mm. Just get some NM iron sights and learn how to shoot with them. After 600 yards a 5.56 doesn't have much steam left unless you are loading 80g match bullets and they can't be fed from the magazine; single load only. If you want a long range AR consider going with a 6.5mm.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

My question to you is, whats a good scope that has a mil dot reticle thats reasonably priced?
                I'm going to build a custom Hot Rod using mostly Yugo parts.

It doesn't cost much more to build it out of stuff that is made with some concern to specs and attention to detail. Seriously.

If you don't want to reload and spend all of your money on ammunition, .223 is fantastic. The SWFA SS 10x is the nicest of the bunch. I have the 16x on one gun, and it's a solid scope also, but it hasn't really seen much abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                  My carved in stone rule has always been that the glass on the rifle has to cost the same or more then the rifle that it is mounted on. Recently I found some glass that has allowed me to break that rule. The Trijicon AccuPoint scopes are fantastic glass for the money. Just spent the day mounting them to 2 rifles and they are a better scope then the Leupold VX-3s that they are replacing.

I have a used Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40 that I would lend you to try out for awhile.
                  Unless you are shooting cheap, piece of shit guns, that rule is not very realistic.
                  My AR is +/- $1000 and I have a $500 Eotech on it
                  My 7-08 is around $700, I have a $550 Monarch on it
                  Etc........

I do not own any rifles that the glass cost more then the rifle...

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                    Unless you are shooting cheap, piece of shit guns, that rule is not very realistic.
                    My AR is +/- $1000 and I have a $500 Eotech on it
                    My 7-08 is around $700, I have a $550 Monarch on it
                    Etc........

I do not own any rifles that the glass cost more then the rifle...
                    My father and step mother shoot bench rest. When your 5 round 100yd grouping has a differential of .080" from the diameter of the round, glass is NOT cheap

CJ does 1,000yd target shooting with an AR, I imagine his optics on that rifle are pricey.
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                      CJ does 1,000yd target shooting with an AR, I imagine his optics on that rifle are pricey.
                      I'm not sure if it's a Viper PST or not but I know he's got one of the Vortex Viper scopes on his AR and it ran close to $800-$1000.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        I'm not sure if it's a Viper PST or not but I know he's got one of the Vortex Viper scopes on his AR and it ran close to $800-$1000.
                        My father paid $1,300ish for his scope almost 10 years ago, it's a Leupold and that was a discounted price.
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

My father and step mother shoot bench rest. When your 5 round 100yd grouping has a differential of .080" from the diameter of the round, glass is NOT cheap

Applications have their place, BUT I am going to guess here that CJs $900 glass is probably less then his rifle, and if your parents are shooting bench rest comps, I am going to put money to say the same.....

My father paid $1,300ish for his scope almost 10 years ago, it's a Leupold and that was a discounted price.
                          A DECENT bench rest gun will probably be three times that amount. Hard to find glass that goes for $5000+

Comment

Scopes used to be one of those things that cost a lot to get to a decent level of performance. Now they don't. A shitty scope compares quite nicely to a shitty gun, and a $500 scope is nice enough to appease almost anyone who isn't a 500yard + shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                              Applications have their place, BUT I am going to guess here that CJs $900 glass is probably less then his rifle, and if your parents are shooting bench rest comps, I am going to put money to say the same.....
                              Yeah I kept it on a budget as best as I could. The PST is a great scope for the money. If your budget is sub $500 then a Nikon Monarch with the BDC reticle or a Super Sniper from SWFA is a great choice. Prime glass (like the SS) which has no adjustable element is generally clearer optically since it can be dialed in much easier on a budget.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X