Thumbs up to familygunfun for UTAH Non-Resident CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
    IF you are a TEXAS RESIDENT, get a Texas CHL.

Many states now do NOT RECOGNIZE NON RESIDENT CHLs. That means if you go to lets say "New Mexico", it will recognize your Texas CHL with your Texas DL. But they WILL NOT Recognize your Out of State CHL with your Texas Resident DL. (You then get arrested and taken to jail for unlawful carry).

Now note, I do not know if New Mexico has a law against non-resident license, I used it as a example, but I DO KNOW some states do this.
    I guess I don't really get your point. All of this is covered in class as to what states we currently have reciprocity agreements with. There are just a few exceptions out of the 30+ states where the state will not recognize your non-resident Utah CHL, if you don't actually reside in Utah. And it is made quite clear in class which states we can and cannot conceal carry in. Therefore, you wouldn't go to New Mexico and conceal carry with a non-resident CHL. I took the class a while back and all of this was covered in class. Only an idiot would disregard the carry laws of each state as that is your responsibility to know the laws pertaining to each state, which again, is/was covered in class.
    Last edited by LS1Goat; 03-08-2011, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      And the current political climate is encroaching on eliminating the non resident CHL's all together.
      I've corresponded with Tan Parker, the R-Rep. for my district regarding this issue. The current bill on the docket to repeal reciprocity has very little support, except in the more liberal urban districts like Houston/Dallas. The Senator and Congressman for my district, ...all replied back with a nice letter that says they would vote in opposition to any bill to change current reciprocity laws signed into law by Gov. Perry and the Attorney General.

Worst case scenario, all that would happen is they would halt renewals for existing non-resident CHLs and bar new applicants. My non-resident CHL would still be valid until it's 5 year expiration date, but without the option to renew.

Comment

I'm all for a carrying society, but you need to show the ability to shoot. A class that doesn't offer that is like a theory class.. nothing really comes of it but talk. I'll be getting my TxCHL when the time comes. It's not worth the possible legal troubles or even bad circumstance arising from an out of state chl and in-state ID.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
          I'm all for a carrying society, but you need to show the ability to shoot. A class that doesn't offer that is like a theory class.. nothing really comes of it but talk. I'll be getting my TxCHL when the time comes. It's not worth the possible legal troubles or even bad circumstance arising from an out of state chl and in-state ID.
          Showing that you can shoot paper doesn't mean squat IMO. Does a driving test keep incompetent drivers off the road? They could take the shooting portion out of the TXCHL all together, and I dont think you would see any increase in incidence of bystanders being shot accidentally. That goes back to knowing when to draw your weapon, and what is beyond your target.
          IMG_0424

Comment

Sounds interesting plus it's just 10-15 mins up the road from me. How many were in your class?

Comment

I've been wanting to take his class for awhile but i've been arrested for minor traffic warrants will i still qualify for the utah chl?

Comment

Originally posted by bjtheman1 View Post
                Sounds interesting plus it's just 10-15 mins up the road from me. How many were in your class?
                About 20

Comment

Originally posted by j351w View Post
                  I've been wanting to take his class for awhile but i've been arrested for minor traffic warrants will i still qualify for the utah chl?
                  *Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit in Utah are:

* Applicant must be at least 21 years of age

* Proof of good character...whereas the applicant;

o has not been convicted of a felony;

o has not been convicted of any crime of violence;

o has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;

o has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;

o has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;

o has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;

o has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed

*A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.

Comment

Working...
                  X