No announcement yet.

Thumbs up to familygunfun for UTAH Non-Resident CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

time was the factor for me. as far as the shooting portion goes, just because you do something one time doesn't mean you are proficient. i believe you do need practice. even us that have shot our whole lives. ex....a coworker walked me thru a 5 step process in quickbooks six months ago. I couldn't repeat that process in a fast and decisive way if my life depended on it. His class does teach gun safety and you will handle a gun. to me, safety is more important than anything. I was impressed with his situational opinions. That class changed the way I thought about protecting myself and my family.

Comment

I talked my wife into taking the course with me in January. As soon as he posts the dates I am gonna sign up.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I don't get the big deal to save that little amount of time and a few measley dollars when a TX CHL is something all of us seem to be able to obtain...

If there were better carrying provision somewhere else or some other bullshit I could possibly understand.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          I just don't think this is the way to defeat the system that has been put in place.
          I hate to tell you this, but the system has been compromised . 2A covers it quite well. And since it is the supreme law of the land, all the laws you are referring to as being defeated, well they should be!

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
            I hate to tell you this, but the system has been compromised . 2A covers it quite well. And since it is the supreme law of the land, all the laws you are referring to as being defeated, well they should be!
            Do you have any idea what an affirmative defense to prosecution is?

I don't have time to dissect the statute that Mustangman2000 has posted, but I do see a clause that raises a red flag:

if the Texas Attorney General determines

which tells me that you might be prosecuted for anything resulting from the use/possession of a handgun, and the AG may or not become involved in the case.

This alone is reason for me to steer clear of the Utah shortcut.
            Last edited by 03trubluGT; 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I don't have time to dissect the statute that Mustangman2000 has posted, but I do see a clause that raises a red flag:

if the Texas Attorney General determines

which tells me that you might be prosecuted for anything resulting from the use/possession of a handgun, and the AG may or not become involved in the case.

This alone is reason for me to steer clear of the Utah shortcut.
              I don't see anything in the wording that really worries me?

I may actually do this class, for the reason that it adds several additional states of reciprocity over the Texas CHL. Namely Washington, since I may end up taking a trip up that direction in a few months

Comment

I took this class and have been carrying with my Utah license for about a year now. I've talked to police officers and such about it. Not a single one thought anything of it other than I was most likely armed. Anyone hating on this license is just mad that they overpaid and had to prove they could shoot a piece of paper repeatedly. The texas or any other license for that matter does not guarantee the person carrying the weapon is safe, sane, or able to shoot when the situation arrises. Does it make me any less responsible that I didn't take a class that was overpriced and takes longer? No. This is just like a drivers license. Just because you passed the test doesn't mean everyone with one can actually do it right.
                And to the OP: You're right this class is informative, fun, and fast. I recommend it to everyone I know.

Comment

Do you have any Idea what the second amendment states?

I don't give a crap about any lower courts, or laws that subvert the constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
                    Do you have any Idea what the second amendment states?

I don't give a crap about any lower courts, or laws that subvert the constitution.
                    Ignorance may be bliss, but in this case it is just plain stupid.

Comment

anyone have recommendations for a Texas CHL course then?

When I am home on R&R my attention span is VERY limited. I would not do well sitting for 8hrs so they better be able to captivate my attention. Not that I am ADD or anything it is just that I have so much I want to do and so little time to do it in.

Comment

Where do you live? I assume you would prefer something local.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          anyone have recommendations for a Texas CHL course then?

When I am home on R&R my attention span is VERY limited. I would not do well sitting for 8hrs so they better be able to captivate my attention. Not that I am ADD or anything it is just that I have so much I want to do and so little time to do it in.
                          Texas CHL is a 10 hour class and cost more money. The Non-Resident Utah CHL class that Brad teaches is very educational, engaging, and covers everything required to obtain your CHL. Don't let people scare you out the UTAH Non-Resident CHL program. It's 100% legal and was signed in to law under mutual reciprocity agreements that are signed by Governor Rick Perry, Utah Commissioner of Public Safety, and the Texas Attorney General. You'll see those signatures in the .pdf I posted below from the Texas DPS site.

People can decry and criticize this (easier) route to obtaining a CHL to they are blue in the face. The fact of the matter, it's legal and valid under the letter of the law. End of story. You still have to meet all the qualifications and automatic disqualifications under the law on your course completion form signed by the Instructor. The FBI gets your fingerprints. And you have to pass a FBI background check. And gun safety is a part of the class. Don't let the no range time dissuade you and lull you into thinking this is an unsound course curriculum. It's debatable and everyone has their opinion regarding UTAH Non-Resident CHL. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then don't take it. Take a Texas CHL course. Either way is fine. And both are legal under reciprocity.

Any questions or concerns you might have can be put to rest if you read the Utah Agreement posted on the Texas DPS website. Here http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...hagreement.pdf

And when you get your Utah Non-Resident CHL and reside in Texas(such as in my case). Guess what, you are a lawful Concealed Handgun Carrier exercising your 2nd Amendment rights.

- Tim
                          Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-12-2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

The non-resident Utah CHL would be a pretty convenient option for you. I wish I would have gone that route simply because of the lack of time I typically have on vacation. As a matter of fact, I took the Texas CHL class at Bullet Trap in Plano, but had to qualify on my next vacation a year later because I ran out of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                              Texas CHL is a 10 hour class and cost more money. The Non-Resident Utah CHL class that Brad teaches is very educational, engaging, and covers everything required to obtain your CHL. Don't let people scare you out the UTAH Non-Resident CHL program. It's 100% legal and was signed in to law under mutual reciprocity agreements that are signed by Governor Rick Perry, Utah Commissioner of Public Safety, and the Texas Attorney General. You'll see those signatures in the .pdf I posted below from the Texas DPS site.

People can decry and criticize this (easier) route to obtaining a CHL to they are blue in the face. The fact of the matter, it's legal and valid under the letter of the law. End of story. You still have to meet all the qualifications and automatic disqualifications under the law on your course completion form signed by the Instructor. The FBI gets your fingerprints. And you have to pass a FBI background check. And gun safety is a part of the class. Don't let the no range time dissuade you and lull you into thinking this is an unsound course curriculum. It's debatable and everyone has their opinion regarding UTAH Non-Resident CHL. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then don't take it. Take a Texas CHL course. Either way is fine. And both are legal under reciprocity.

Any questions or concerns you might have can be put to rest if you read the Utah Agreement posted on the Texas DPS website. Here http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...hagreement.pdf

And when you get your Utah Non-Resident CHL and reside in Texas(such as in my case). Guess what, you are a lawful Concealed Handgun Carrier exercising your 2nd Amendment rights.

- Tim
                              This is a very compelling argument for getting the Utah Non-Resident CHL, but in the minute chance you have to display or even use the weapon, are you willing to risk some type of prejudice by the responding officer(s) or an Assistant DA that doesn't like the fact that you went out and got a CHL via circumventing the Texas CHL?

Just a point I wanted to make before bowing out of this conversation.

If this had been around years ago, it might have been a viable option had I needed one.

When I have time, I will do some research on this and make a call to see if there are any ongoing cases or case law on this subject.

Comment

This is a very compelling argument for getting the Utah Non-Resident CHL, but in the minute chance you have to display or even use the weapon, are you willing to risk some type of prejudice by the responding officer(s) or an Assistant DA that doesn't like the fact that you went out and got a CHL via circumventing the Texas CHL?

Just a point I wanted to make before bowing out of this conversation.

If this had been around years ago, it might have been a viable option had I needed one.

When I have time, I will do some research on this and make a call to see if there are any ongoing cases or case law on this subject.
                                Matt I see no need for you to leave the topic unless the OP does but then again it is an open forum. I would be interested in hearing if there is any open cases pertaining to out of state CHL and reciprocity in Texas. Over zealous officer or DA is the only that worries me. If it was just me I know I could handle it but I do not want to put my wife in a position she can't deal with. I am just glad I talked her into the course to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X