Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Place to buy Surplus?

Where is the best place to buy surplus ammo? Mainly for a 30-06

does any military use 30-06 enough to have surplus?

Comment

There is almost no surplus .30-06 left anywhere in the world.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Use to be cmp. Don't know what they have left now.

Comment

Military doesn't technically sell surplus. Lake City sells sub-par ammo

Comment

CMP just sold out of en bloc'ed 30-06 two weeks ago, but still has loose Greek M2 ball HXP for $98/can (200 rounds). They 'claim' they have enough for a while, but I'd get it while you can...

Comment

If you're worried about running too hot a load for an old rifle, Remington makes a load called, "managed recoil." It's a lot lighter than regular factory loads.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

MGS has 5 500rd cans left or late 40's US surplus for 175 a can

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                  If you're worried about running too hot a load for an old rifle, Remington makes a load called, "managed recoil." It's a lot lighter than regular factory loads.
                  It's not exactly the recoil it's more the powder burn rate time.

OP I recomend investing into reloading. IMR 4895 is very close to the M2 ball ammo's powder that was used.

Edit: You can also look into an adjustable gas plug if this is for an M1, I've never messed with them but for $35 it might be a good investment.
                  Last edited by dee; 10-11-2011, 09:04 PM.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                    It's not exactly the recoil it's more the powder burn rate time.

OP I recomend investing into reloading. IMR 4895 is very close to the M2 ball ammo's powder that was used.

Edit: You can also look into an adjustable gas plug if this is for an M1, I've never messed with them but for $35 it might be a good investment.
                    I wasn't talking about reducing felt recoil. I was recommending lower-pressure ammo.

Comment

I wasn't talking about reducing felt recoil. I was recommending lower-pressure ammo.
                      It's still not the same most of those are the same powder type just a reduced charge. When it comes to the operating system of an M1 you want a faster burning powder, the slower powders is what causes damage to the operating rod.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        It's still not the same most of those are the same powder type just a reduced charge. When it comes to the operating system of an M1 you want a faster burning powder, the slower powders is what causes damage to the operating rod.
                        Cool. Thanks man!

Comment

Cool. Thanks man!
                          No problem, the thing to always remember with Garands is not chamber pressure it's port pressure that matter. I've gotten a crash course in this lately after trading into one, they are fun but a pain at the same time, I just figure it'll make a great pig gun.

Comment

M1 Garand Parts Clips Tools and Accessories. AmmoGarand is your One-Stop Shop for all you Garand needs.

Comment

I'd be afraid of anything still on depot shelves to have corrosive primers. Maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                              X