Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone detect bias in this article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone detect bias in this article?

Police: IHOP weapon fully automatic assault rifle
    By F.T. Norton
    ftnorton@nevadaappeal.com

Eduardo Sencion was armed with a fully automatic assault rifle when he killed four people and injured seven at a shooting at the Carson City IHOP last month, according to Sheriff Ken Furlong.

Furlong said Tuesday that an examination by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives of Sencion's weapons after the Sept. 6 shootings determined Sencion fired some 60 rounds from a Norinco MAK 90 assault rifle. The weapon was manufactured as semi-automatic, but it had been modified. The alteration was described by the ATF as “professionally gunsmithed.”

According to Furlong, the MAK 90 is a Chinese-made version of the Russian AK47, a weapon also found inside Sencion's van. Two handguns were also recovered, he said — a Glock and a .38-caliber revolver, the latter of which Sencion used to fatally shoot himself in the head.

“Investigators have determined that the weapon was last sold by a private party in California to an unknown buyer over five years ago,” said Furlong. “The weapon was apparently later altered to function as an automatic weapon.”

It has been unlawful since passage of the National Firearms Act in 1934 for civilians to own machine guns without special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department.

Furlong said machine guns are subject to a tax every time their ownership changes from one federally registered owner to another, and each weapon is subject to tax when it is made, and it must be registered with ATF.

The state of Nevada provides no further restrictions other than those imposed by the federal government.

It is legal to possess any of the weapons Sencion had in manufactured state.

Nevada law allows for the private sale of weapons, and sellers are not required to perform background checks on the purchaser.

“Failure of a seller to perform a background check does not give rise to a civil or criminal cause of action,” said Furlong. “As it pertains to Eduardo Sencion, Nevada state concealed-weapons permitting and federal firearms licensing processes prescribed by law are not pertinent to this investigation, as no apparent licensing or permits were ever requested or issued.”

In addition to the weapons, Sencion had 15 loaded 30-round magazines and one empty clip, said the sheriff.

Furlong said the Carson City Sheriff's Department and ATF continue to investigate the IHOP shooting. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Carson City Sheriff's Detective Division, at 887-2500.
    The Nevada Appeal, the Silver State's oldest continuously run newspaper, first published on May 16, 1865.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I just see alot of facts.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      I just see alot of facts.
      I will agree it has far more legitimacy than most all other gun articles. But, it seems the facts are presented in a specific organized fashion.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I can see how you may look at it as a list of facts to create a point that there is a problem with the law.

Comment

I can see how you may look at it as a list of facts to create a point that there is a problem with the law.
          Precisely. It's written in a "Can you fucking believe this shit?" fashion.

Comment

Yep, the problem is liberal media douchebags are trying to make it seem morally unacceptable to carry a firearm when you damn well know if that guy came into an IHOP located in a more gun friendly place such as TX, he would have had rounds coming back the other way.

Stupid, guy walks into IHOP and lights the place up. Police take 10 min to respond. How many rounds you think a fully-auto AK can fire in 10 min. Now how many do you think it can fire if the operator is dead within 15-20 sec due to a few CCW holders killing him?

Comment

Nevada is a CCW state.

Comment

CCW laws have ZERO to do with the outcome of a situation such as that IHOP if nobody in the IHOP has a CCW on them...licensed or not.

Comment

That was in response to what bottlerocket wrote:

Yep, the problem is liberal media douchebags are trying to make it seem morally unacceptable to carry a firearm when you damn well know if that guy came into an IHOP located in a more gun friendly place such as TX, he would have had rounds coming back the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                    Precisely. It's written in a "Can you fucking believe this shit?" fashion.
                    While I agree, it is hard to criticize an article that states only facts.
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      I was just using it as an example of how you can present a bias even while using only facts.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                        CCW laws have ZERO to do with the outcome of a situation such as that IHOP if nobody in the IHOP has a CCW on them...licensed or not.
                        Ugh, yea you're absolutely right so lets just abolish CCW completely and let everyone open carry. Good solution?

How does it have ZERO to do with it? Thats a pretty ignorant statement, but I guess you can try to get away with it by using the conditional statement "if nobody in the IHOP has a CCW on them...", still a stretch.

No CCW allowed= Damn near 0% chance anyone in that facility has a gun
                        CCW allowed= at least greater than 1%

Thats not a zero...

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                        I'm still siding with CJ on this one. Its easy to bias an article using only facts.

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                        Nevada is a CCW state.
                        Never said it wasn't. I just am aware of the regularity at which people I know carry in TX. I can't speak for that in Nevada

Comment

That was meant in response to one post, sorry.

Which I don't completely disagree with, just that some shit will always happen, it is a fallout of rule #1 the "shit happens".

Comment

The alteration was described by the ATF as “professionally gunsmithed.”

What is so difficult about drilling 2 holes and clearancing a rail with 30 seconds of work with a dremel.
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                              The alteration was described by the ATF as “professionally gunsmithed.”

What is so difficult about drilling 2 holes and clearancing a rail with 30 seconds of work with a dremel.
                              It probably wasn't an auto only conversion, might have been a select fire genuine conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X