Anyone here with access to a lathe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here with access to a lathe...

... preferably a cnc lathe? I can provide drawings, material, and time to help. Not a difficult or large project at all. Let me know I figured this was as good of forum to post this since a lot of gunsmith use a lathe.

Shoot Brooks (TurboStang) a pm. Not sure if he has one but it's a good shot.

LMK what he says, I "might" be able to find one for a limited time, or I know I can find one for a fee. Just depends on if/what you want to spend.

David

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
      Shoot Brooks (TurboStang) a pm. Not sure if he has one but it's a good shot.

LMK what he says, I "might" be able to find one for a limited time, or I know I can find one for a fee. Just depends on if/what you want to spend.

David
      I have access to one here at work but it is going to be busy for a long time. I am really looking for kind of a hookup but I could pay a little if I have to. I know brooks has one but he is a busy guy and I doubt he would run it for a couple hours for free.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
        I have access to one here at work but it is going to be busy for a long time. I am really looking for kind of a hookup but I could pay a little if I have to. I know brooks has one but he is a busy guy and I doubt he would run it for a couple hours for free.

What kind of precision does it need to hold?

David

Comment

well, I like nice stuff so I would say .005" tops.

Comment

You don't need a CNC lathe to do those simple flashlight bases. That would be a very easy thing to make on a standard lathe.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              You don't need a CNC lathe to do those simple flashlight bases. That would be a very easy thing to make on a standard lathe.

Yes, true.
              +/- 5k is "miles" by today's standards.

I'll see if I can get access to one.
              Do you plan on doing the work or having someone else doing it?

David

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                Yes, true.
                +/- 5k is "miles" by today's standards.

I'll see if I can get access to one.
                Do you plan on doing the work or having someone else doing it?

David
                I know that a cnc is not really required but since I want to make about 10 of these things I figured it could take the guess work out of some of it. I am going to need help I have no lathe experience at all. I can run a cnc router table no problem but have just never had the chance to use a lathe.

Comment

I know that a cnc is not really required but since I want to make about 10 of these things I figured it could take the guess work out of some of it. I am going to need help I have no lathe experience at all. I can run a cnc router table no problem but have just never had the chance to use a lathe.
                  Anyone with any real experience could cut 10 of those before someone could get their CNC machine's Mach3 or Solidworks task finalized and running. Not to mention it would be quite a bit cheaper
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Anyone with any real experience could cut 10 of those before someone could get their CNC machine's Mach3 or Solidworks task finalized and running.
                    great, you have a lead for me? I can provide the drawing and program the gcode if someone does have a cnc lathe to use. I would just need to know what output file type to create.

Comment

great, you have a lead for me? I can provide the drawing and program the gcode if someone does have a cnc lathe to use. I would just need to know what output file type to create.

Someone you might want to contact is Don on the board, he has a CNC lathe - his screenname is "billet works".

jesus you ninja edit as much as I do, haha.

Comment

Someone you might want to contact is Don on the board, he has a CNC lathe - his screenname is "billet works".

jesus you ninja edit as much as I do, haha.
                        HA, thanks I will PM him. these are not for the project in the other thread, although related...

Comment

Sorry for taking so long but I just heard today from the person I was hoping to get some time with but it just isn't going to happen. They are just way too busy right now.

David

Comment

i have access to 3 Mazak cnc lathes, 4 Cadillac's, 2 Hurco's cnc mills and 4 other mills..........where are you located and ill see what i can do.

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

I am considering buying a small mini lathe and cnc retrofitting it. Thanks for the offers I will check back with you if I decide not to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X