Texas gun law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas gun law?

I'll be 18 in November and was looking into buying a handgun to go shoot for fun. A buddy told me you can't buy a handgun until you are 21. Can somebody clarify this for me?
    2012 GT500

You can buy one privately. I think federal law say you have to be 21 to buy from a dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      You can buy one privately. I think federal law say you have to be 21 to buy from a dealer.
      Does that include pawn shops?

Can I have someone over the age of 21 buy the gun new and then immediately sell it to me?
      2012 GT500

Comment

I would have to get the law book out to go over it all, but basically at 18 you can not buy a handgun or the ammo for it. So until you are 21, someone will have to buy your bullets as well, heh.

Edit: to answer your question about the buy/sell with your buddy, that is a big no no. That is a straw purchase.
        Last edited by Venix; 10-02-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          This.

There is currently a lawsuit underway challenging this, but it was struck down by a Federal Judge here in N. Texas. It will be appealed.
          http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=7118
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

If a pawn shop is selling guns, they're a licensed dealer.

Scenario below I have no clue on. There's the whole straw purchase thing etc.

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post

Can I have someone over the age of 21 buy the gun new and then immediately sell it to me?

Comment

You could but it's called a straw purchase, and that would be a felony.
              Now if a friend happened to buy a gun that you really liked with their own funds, then changed their mind and sold it to you that is legal. (I still wouldn't recommend doing this.)

Comment

NO! That is a "straw purchase" and is highly illegal.
                Anyone that sells guns on a dealer license (including pawn shops) will get their license revoked, get a big fine, and probably do federal time if they sell a handgun to anyone under 21.
                As for ammo, if it is a "handgun specific" caliber, you have to be 21 to buy that too.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Yeah, if I remember right another stupid one is you can be 18 if military and get your CHL. However, you still can't buy a gun.

I'd just get your Dad to buy you a gun, with or without your money (whatever makes you sleep at night) and just take it to the range. I don't recall any 18 vs 21 limits at the range, but I'd verify that. I'm old, so age stuff does not apply.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

but basically at 18 you can not buy a handgun or the ammo for it.
                    1/2 right.

You can buy the ammo at 18, just not the gun.

There are a lot of rifles out there chambered for pistol calibers.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

If you just want something to have fun with at the range, look into a pistol caliber carbine.

I would suggest a kel tec sub 2000. They are cheap and take glock magazines.
                      Originally posted by lincolnboy
                      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                        1/2 right.

You can buy the ammo at 18, just not the gun.

There are a lot of rifles out there chambered for pistol calibers.
                        Um, no? You must me 21 to buy handgun ammo. I get ID'd everytime at walmart.

Comment

Is the 21 for handgun ammo fed or state?

I remember some time ago when the underage restriction on ammo buying was lifted, and esessentially one could legally go buy a brick of 22s under 18. That was awhile back, I remember laughing because I had never been carded as a kid.

How is handgun ammo defined? More stupid crap that makes no sense.

Comment

I always remember being asked if the ammo being purchased was for rifle or handgun. My response everytime was rifle no matter what caliber I was buying.

Comment

I always remember being asked if the ammo being purchased was for rifle or handgun. My response everytime was rifle no matter what caliber I was buying.
                              Exactly!

Um, no? You must me 21 to buy handgun ammo. I get ID'd everytime at walmart.
                              .22lr can be used in either a pistol or rifle.
                              So can 9mm, 40s&w, .45acp, .38spl, .357mag, .44mag, 45LC, 500s&w, just to name a few.

You have no proof that the ammo being purchased is going to be used in a pistol. Sure, the dealer/seller has discretion on wether they want to sell it to the customer, but if they say it's for a rifle and you can't prove otherwise then there is no legal restriction on them buying it if they are over 18.
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                              X