small rifle vs small pistol primers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small rifle vs small pistol primers

So what really is the difference? I've always thought SR primers had a slightly thicker shell plate, no?

You can use small rifle primers in pistol rounds, but not the other way around. Rifle primers have a harder cup. Some subgun guys use rifle primers in their pistol loads to prevent slam fire.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

okay, that goes along with what I know.

Comment

So is there any advantage in using pistol primers? Any reason not to just stock up on small rifle primers and use them in anything requiring a small non-magnum primer?

Comment

I've always used small rifle in my 454, that is generally recommended. I have always assumed that their construction enabled them to handle higher pressures.

I considered large rifle in some 45WM one time based on some work a shooter had done, but found CCI LP to work best.

Comment

I've used small rifle primers to load pistol for years. The need mainly came from shooting high pressure 38 super loads mainly to prevent primer flow. Now I use small rifle to load everything.
            It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

So do you feel the cups are thicker/harder or something? That has always been my asumption across the board and the reason to use them for high pressures, like you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                So do you feel the cups are thicker/harder or something? That has always been my asumption across the board and the reason to use them for high pressures, like you say.
                they are thicker.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks cj

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                    Thanks cj
                    knock the retainer and material out and use your caliper and measure, it should be thicker.

Comment

LOL! I still have a scar from jacking with some primers a long time ago...

Comment

Working...
                      X