Hunting hog on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting hog on public land

So I wasn't raised around guns or hunting and most everything I have learned about them has been from reading, friends or my fiance's dad, so I have just about zero experience hunting on public lands.

Out here FL has the Wildlife Management Area system which seems pretty sweet, but they have some restrictions such as no baiting. The only hog hunting I've ever done has been catching a couple on a feeder or some tearing up a wheat field (both plentiful food sources).

Without these aids I really have no idea where to start or what is needed, literally beginning from square one. Anyone have any resources online that might basically have a guide similar to one of the "dummies" books? I really want to read up and figure out what to do since I'm fairly certain throwing on some muck boots and heading out with my Marlin isn't gonna get me much. And with the limited free time I have between training phases I want to make the most of the time I get to spend out hunting.

I exclusively hunt hogs by stalking, not sitting in blinds. You have to familiarize yourself with the terrain. Hogs almost always bed down in high grass or cat tails around water sources. The best way to find one is to look for a mud wallow by the shore, they are lazy and usually bed down within 20-100ft of that. During the day they will be in the grass/cat tails. You can throw rocks in there, scream, and run around it - they won't come out until they think you've gone. My best strategy has been to walk the area looking diligently for pigs inside. And then I sit completely still and quiet, and eventually they will decide it's time to leave and you can pop them. That's the best strategy for day hunting. At night they are out and about looking for food sources. After and before they go looking for food they will go to water. Without a good grasp on their food cache, night hunting is more difficult because they could be anywhere.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      I exclusively hunt hogs by stalking, not sitting in blinds. You have to familiarize yourself with the terrain. Hogs almost always bed down in high grass or cat tails around water sources. The best way to find one is to look for a mud wallow by the shore, they are lazy and usually bed down within 20-100ft of that. During the day they will be in the grass/cat tails. You can throw rocks in there, scream, and run around it - they won't come out until they think you've gone. My best strategy has been to walk the area looking diligently for pigs inside. And then I sit completely still and quiet, and eventually they will decide it's time to leave and you can pop them. That's the best strategy for day hunting. At night they are out and about looking for food sources. After and before they go looking for food they will go to water. Without a good grasp on their food cache, night hunting is more difficult because they could be anywhere.
      I didn't realize they were so timid during the day. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
      X