30-40 krag, any fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-40 krag, any fans?

I just picked up a shorty, this is the absolute finest bolt action I have ever worked. The magazine is overly complicated but works. The crown is like a pimple faced kid from hell so I expect accuracy in minute of hubcap, but that can be dealt with.

Any Krag comments?

I have a few. The only down side to them is that the action is weak and the chamber is cut so you pretty much have to use the round nose 220gr bullets. The up side is that they are super smooth and look great.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

A sporterized Krag was my granddad's favorite dear rifle.

Comment

I have a carbine and a standard rifle.

Comment

They only have one locking lug, so don't load them hot if you're reloading them. They're pretty good guns otherwise. They're almost like a heavier .30-30. In point of fact, the nomenclature of both cartridges points to their shared origins as black powder rounds. The number after the caliber is how many grains of black powder would've been in the load. You see the same thing with other cartridges of the era (.38-40/.44-40/.45-70). Not many made it past the era, but some like the .30-30 and .45-70 have proven their mettle, so they've stuck with us.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by J&T's 82 View Post
            A sporterized Krag was my granddad's favorite dear rifle.
            Must have been very deer to him

Comment

Thanks for the input. This will probably be a range toy and bench project. Definitely needs a scope, and if the barrel is truly shot out all bets are off. Kind of a nice collectible. Too many other options for hotrodding, this will stay a casual shooter or brush hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                They only have one locking lug, so don't load them hot if you're reloading them. They're pretty good guns otherwise. They're almost like a heavier .30-30. In point of fact, the nomenclature of both cartridges points to their shared origins as black powder rounds. The number after the caliber is how many grains of black powder would've been in the load. You see the same thing with other cartridges of the era (.38-40/.44-40/.45-70). Not many made it past the era, but some like the .30-30 and .45-70 have proven their mettle, so they've stuck with us.
                Uhmm, are you sure about that? LOL! googlefail

Comment

Working...
                X